Is there a down side to having too many filters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j0el1212

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have two 400 boiwheel Marineland filter.
One fluval 305 filter.
One 9 amp Uv clarify filter also one sponge filter.

Only fish can get sucked up but since you got a sponge filter that's not a problem. A lot of people do that (I'm about to) . It's good if the fish has big waste loads.

RedFlame said:
The only potential downside that I can think of is too much flow, depending on what you have in the tank.

Mainly discus and angels in a 75g.

Have two 400 boiwheel Marineland filter.
One fluval 305 filter.
One 9 amp Uv clarify filter also one sponge filter.

This depends on the size, stock and your PWC's.

While there's no such thing as too much filtration, there is such a thing as too many filters. I see filtration as converting ammo to nitrates and polishing up as much as possible. If you have a large tank with really messy fish ... yes you want 2 or 3 filters. However, I feel at some point though, adding more filters will not improve bio filtration by adding more bacteria. They multiply in response to Bio-load. Larger Bio-loads = more ammonia = more bacteria.
Too many filters and you'll end up creating a ton of current.

jcolon said:

While there's no such thing as too much filtration, there is such a thing as too many filters. I see filtration as converting ammo to nitrates and polishing up as much as possible. If you have a large tank with really messy fish ... yes you want 2 or 3 filters. However, I feel at some point though, adding more filters will not improve bio filtration by adding more bacteria. They multiply in response to Bio-load. Larger Bio-loads = more ammonia = more bacteria.

Thanks I'll keep all that in mind and keep track on everything.

aqua_chem said:
I don't think discus are big fans of flow are they?

No they aren't but they seem to be fine so far had them for a while they always low anyways I don't think it effects them.

+1. There are ways to decrease current if you feel like you have too much current from your filters (such as repositioning your outflow tube).

Back
Top Bottom