Is There Any Way To Speed Up The Cycle Of A Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuaebmcguire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong category I am new to forums but after finding myself rather wrapped up in my new hobby I thought it was about time I join up.

Here's my problem I've got a 95L tropical tank I'm really pleased with it I've had all my current fish (not the fry) since October last year without incident... Touch wood! My pair of Lake Malawi Yellow Labs like it so much in fact they have mated successfully and I now have 7 small fry in a mesh tank inside my current tank (the mesh is becoming very grimy and I'm wary of a ammonia spike etc). I have acquired a 50L tank and filled this and laid a gravel base and filter, pump and heater and this tank has been left to cycle since 6pm today... This is where I need help, I'm desperate to get the fry out due to the grime and also I'm concerd of stumping their growth as they have now been in there a week! Is there any way I can speed up the cycling of the new tank as my larger tank took weeks!

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, :) JoshImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440378375.493757.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440378407.780250.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440378423.250233.jpg

Fluval 95L

1 Angel Fish
3 Buenos Aires tetra
3 Black Phantom Tetras
2 Albino Phantom Tetras
2 Malawi Yellow Labs
1 Silver Shark
1 Spotted Pleco

(7 Malawi Fry... To Be Transferred To My Currently Cycling 50L Tank)

Simply transfer some of the filter media from the filter in the 95L to the filter in the 50L. That will speed up cycling tremendously. Monitor the cycling progress via daily testing.
As for the fry in the net, they should be fine for a while. Just keep up with water changes in the 95L while the 50L cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My 95L has a slot in filter with a carbon pad, but I've set up a sponge filter in the new tank as I didn't want the fry to get sucked up would it be okay to just float my the current slot filter pad in the 95L and replace? How long should I leave it floating for?

I'm currently doing 20% water change every two days as someone told me this was vital to the growth of the fry?

I'm about to go down to my local fish store to get them some new hideouts etc is there anything else I should get to help my new tank anyone recommends?

Thankyou for the fast response!

Josh ?

Fluval 95L

1 Angel Fish
3 Buenos Aires tetra
3 Black Phantom Tetras
2 Albino Phantom Tetras
2 Malawi Yellow Labs
1 Silver Shark
1 Spotted Pleco

(7 Malawi Fry... To Be Transferred To My Currently Cycling 50L Tank)

have you added ammonia to new tank? Will need a source for bacteria to feed on. once you have some ammonia you might try rinsing your old filter in aquarium water then adding that water to the new tank. Still requires a lot of patience. several good articles on cycling ob this forum..good luck

7 small fry should not affect your main tank at all unless you are overfeeding them a LOT.

You could keep the sponge filter running in your main for a couple of weeks (the fry will be fine in the net). Then transfer both over to the new tank. (this would be my prefered method). This is also why I always keep an extra sponge filter running in my main tank, might be a little unsightly but its there for those unexpected fry.:fish2:

If you really want to get them out:
I don't know what filter you are running on your main tank but I would take out what ever media it has and slosh it around in a bucket of water from your main tank and then put it back in your filter . Then run your sponge filter in that "dirty" water for an hour or two. It should have plenty of beneficial bacteria for 7 small fry.

Combined with 20% pwc every second day you should have no issue. Make sure to use a quality water conditioner such as Prime.

Back
Top Bottom