Is there anything wrong with my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shubunkin01

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had him 5 days, and until now he was pretty lively, but today he is just sitting on the bottom of the tank. Is anything wrong or am I getting worried over nothing? The other fish is fine.

Thanks!
Shubunkin01

need more info...
size of tank?
Temperature of tank?
What other fish do you have? types and numbers
what do you feed and how often?
Going to need some test results? #
PH?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
How long has the tank been up and running?
what if anything have you added that is new to the tank?
when was the last time you did a water change, how much...% or total volume...

answering these questions will go a long way towards helping your fish :)

Update:

That fish died. I think he had Swimbladder disease. He was fine yesterday, I just can't believe it happened so fast...
All the other fish seem fine.
Thanks for trying to help JDogg

Shubunkin01

Was it swimming all over the tank? If it was sitting on the bottom of the tank, I doubt it was a swimbladder problem. How is the ammonia in your tank?

Devilishturtles said:
Was it swimming all over the tank? If it was sitting on the bottom of the tank, I doubt it was a swimbladder problem. How is the ammonia in your tank?
I agree, i think there is more to this story...if i was you i would still take the time to answer my questions from my first post... if for no other reason then to make sure nothing happens to your other fish

Sure, sorry.

size of tank? 12 Gallons
Temperature of tank? Unsure, but between 10 and 15
What other fish do you have? types and numbers 1 other goldfish
what do you feed and how often? Twice a day, three flakes per goldfish
Going to need some test results?
PH? 7.2
Ammonia? 0-0.25
Nitrite? 0
Nitrate? 10
How long has the tank been up and running? 2 weeks
what if anything have you added that is new to the tank? Some plant fertilizer and some slate
when was the last time you did a water change, how much...% or total volume...
Saturday, 20%

Hope that helps. The fish that died kept rolling over on its side or upside down before it died- that's what made me think it was swimbladder. The other goldfish is still hanging around the gravel

Shubunkin01 said:
Temperature of tank? Unsure, but between 10 and 15

That's really cold, even for golds. Waht kind of gold - common or fancy?

Fancies can not stand that kind of temp for long. They actually should be in mid 70's or 25C ish. Commons should be in 18-20C.

At 10C even commons will be shutting down. You should not be feeding them at that temp as their digestive tract will be shutting down & they will get into severe constipation (which will give you the kind of symptoms as swim-bladder disease). The fish is basically preparing for hibernation at that temp, which maybe why the fish is just hanging around the gravel (or it may be sick ... can't tell by behaviour alone at that temp).

You can let the remaining fish hibernate at low temp like that over the winter if you like (assuming it is a common), but I wouldn't add any new fish to that tank.

I wonder if your new fish died because of the cold shock ....your old fish is doing better as the temp prob dropped over the season & it has time to adjust & prepare for hibernation.

I agree that is too cold for even goldfish. Not to mention 12 gals is too small for one goldfish, nevermind 2. Sounds to me like your fish was suffering from swim bladder disease, probably from the reasons jsoong outlined. Also your tank isn't cycled as of yet so you will be coming into a nitrite spike soon and adding more fish will not help your fish. You will need to do regular, possibly daily water changes. So sorry for the loss of your one fish. I'd get a heater for the other one and start the water changes till your cycle is over. I wouldn't add anymore fish to that tank.

I would definately say gill flukes. The fish was new and he was bottom sitting with no other symptoms. Flukes are extremely common among goldfish. You really need to feed your fish more too. 6 flakes per day and soon you'll see sunken stomachs and more problems.

Back
Top Bottom