Is there ever too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsox19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post here, I recently acquired a 120 gallon tank... On my old tank (40g) I had a Fluval C3 and a Fluval C4... The store where I purchased the new set up gave me an emperor 400... Ive got all 3 running as of right now on the 75, with the only fish being a 9 inch Fahaka... Is this overkill or...?

The water coming out of the filter creates water movement. If you have tons of water going everywhere the fish might get stressed from constantly swimming again a current.

That makes sense, I have set up decorations so that there are calm spots... I will monitor his behavior... Thanks for the help!

You can always modify the spray bar on the canister filters to lessen the flow rate. Drill more holes or enlarge the ones that are already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also put things like filter socks over the outflow to help lower the water flow. Puffers aren't the best swimmers, so keep an eye on him to see if he's struggling.

Back
Top Bottom