Is there something wrong with my Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfoxx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mickey mouse platy in a 5 gallon tank. She's been doing very well and the tank is cycled and everything. However, the past couple of days she has been spitting out most of her food when I feed her in the morning and has been sort of lazy for lack of a better description..meaning she has been sleeping a lot at the bottom and top and not extremely active.

The only abnormality is the Ammonia has been up a little bit for a few days because I recently did a tank vacuum and it must have killed off some of the bacteria. But it hasn't been extremely high and I've been doing partial water changes until it gets back to normal.

And now I definitely think there might be something wrong because in the mornings when I would open the blinds and let the light into my room she would go nuts swimming around because she knew it was time to eat and today and yesterday she has remained sleeping at the bottom. Anybody know what is going on?

When you say ammonia is up a little what exactly do you mean? What are your numbers?
Fish often eat food and spit it out - is it a new food that she is not familiar with? This is when it happens the most

Thanks for the response. I just ran a test and Ammonia looks to be at .50. I am going to do a water change now..it's annoying though because all I did was vacuum half of the tank and I get that big of an Ammonia spike?

I have been using the same food I've always used. She only ever used to spit it out when the flakes were too big, but then she started spitting out most of it and like I said today didn't not eat at all and is very inactive. Most days she is usually up swimming around before I am but today slept on the bottom the whole time and when I got up she still didn't. Do you think it's the Ammonia spike?

Back
Top Bottom