Is there such thing as too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antonio718

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon regular tank with a acua50 filter and a maxijet 400 powerhead, for now i have only live sand and live rock because it is my second week cycle, i just wanted to kno if anyone thinks my maxijet 400 is too much flow for my tank especially when i put my fish in

image-1641632054.jpg

Heres what it looks like for now

If its gonna be fowlr then 10x tank volume in total gph is reccomended for a fowlr. Keep in mind though reefs are reccomended between 30-50x and some go close to 60x so your far from to much flow for your fish unless your keeping special requirement fish like pipefish or seahorses.

I was thinking about getting clown fish to start, then eventually gettinba snowflake eel and flame dwarf angel

And also i dunno if this is normal but somtimes my maxijet makes a lil tornado on the top of it then it makes a noise and shoots out like crazy, do i have to lower it or did i put it wrong?

Those fish are all decent swimmers and sounds like your pump is to close to the surface so you could either lower it or flip it over so it sucks from the bottom up instead of top down.

Mrc8858 said:
Those fish are all decent swimmers and sounds like your pump is to close to the surface so you could either lower it or flip it over so it sucks from the bottom up instead of top down.

Thanks for your advice

Back
Top Bottom