Is there sw ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
I do not have a pic but I do have a question. I have been seeing shrimp at night that look like ghost shrimp. Clear about the same size. Is this possible? I know they have feeders but I have never bought any.

i would assume ghost shrimp could be acclimated to sw just like fw... i mean they only breed in brackish water, so unless im missing the concept, i would think there is a possibility they can live in saltwater.

i would assume ghost shrimp could be acclimated to sw just like fw... i mean they only breed in brackish water, so unless im missing the concept, i would think there is a possibility they can live in saltwater.

my ghost shrimp reproduce consistently in freshwater only...

"Ghost" shrimp is somewhat a misnomer. There are many species that are called ghost shrimp. Most breed in FW or Brackish only, I'm not aware of any SW variety. A pic would help, but possibly a mysis?

Thanks sadielynn. It looks a lot like the dancing shrimp. Although I have heard clicking. Dont pistols click? I found a dead shrimp my anemone ate and was about 1 1/2 inches long. Then I saw the other one alive but it was less than an inch. Do I need to be concerned about either one?

Nope both both pistols and mantis ( not absolutely sure on how they look young ) click , tho the pistol is harmless , the mantis is NOT , if you can bait him out with a pop bottle and some meaty foods you can snap a pic .. the dancing shrimp may irritate corals and nip at them tho mine behaved before he committed shrimpacide by jumping out :( I miss the little fella :(
the dancing shrimp will NOT click either :) if you are hearing pops what kind of rock do you have ?

If you hear "pops", are they single or a series?

I have a few ghost shrimp that have been in my sump for over a year now. Got some from a tidepool. Like stated above they have not bred so that Part must be true.

I have LR that does have a few holes in it, that small critters could get in. The pops are like two in a row. I wish I could get a pic. The shrimp are gone if I see them. They take off. The shrimp that looks like ghost shrimp I am pretty sure are not mantis but if I knew I wouldn't be asking. I did see a tiny "shrimp" (so small camera could not focus) that made U-shape in sand up against glass. He was moving sand all around. He was clear but very very small. He was gone next morning. Now I feel like a med student hearing about symptoms. Sounds like I have everthing.

the small things are most likely pods :) harmless and benificial :D
fish will eat them and they will burrow into the sand and rocks ;)
the mantis you can google them but it is likely not a mantis :) with out pics tho I am not 100% sure tho :D

Back
Top Bottom