is this a bad deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been looking all over town for sand for my freshwater tank. PetCo and PetSmart don't seem to sell it. I did find one back of black sand at a tropical fish store but it was really old and it cost $20 for like 5lbs. I called a pool supply store and they sell sand for $12 for a 50lb bag. That sounds like a good deal but I don't know what I would do with ALL that sand. I could see it ripping open and spilling in my closet or something. :hat:

What kind of sand are you looking for? Was what you found at the pool supply store black? I'm guessing not and I'm also assuming that it was pool filter sand, which makes an excellent substrate. I'm actually going to pick up a 50lb bag right now. Wal-Mart should have it if you are near one. It should cost roughly <$10 for a 50lb bag. Hope that helps.

if you can find it local might as well buy like flourite black sand from the docs. if you go with pfs just buy a little tub to store it in so next time your setting up a new tank its ready to go. i always keep substrate on hand for that very reason.

My pfs was a reddish poo brown color. I think that the color of pfs depends on the region you buy it from.

My pfs was a reddish poo brown color. I think that the color of pfs depends on the region you buy it from.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. There's no sense in making sure that everyone in North America has the same color of PFS because when it comes down to it, it's purpose is to be used in a filter, not for its aesthetic value in an aquarium. I'm sure there are many regional suppliers with different color sand that is coarse enough to be considered "PFS". Personally, I wish I could get my hands on some all white PFS for my discus tank but I'm stuck with the "sand colored" stuff LOL. Good description Anne : )

sweetness......ive been looking everywhere for a substrate that would be good for a fire eel. all the pet shops in my area only carry sharp rocky substrate.

what else can you use?

sorry if this changes the subject!!

I know SO many people have posted about this before, but I just want to verify that sand is a good substrate and isn't super hard to maintain. I am fine with vacuuming the top of the sand to get the debris off, but I hope you don't have to take the sand out and filter it or anything because I was planning to use sand in order to avoid all the cleaning that gravel requires. I know I'll have to vacuum the debris off and stir it weekly, but I'm hoping that's all I have to do. Sand doesn't allow for the debris to get caught underneath it like gravel, right?

I know SO many people have posted about this before, but I just want to verify that sand is a good substrate and isn't super hard to maintain. I am fine with vacuuming the top of the sand to get the debris off, but I hope you don't have to take the sand out and filter it or anything because I was planning to use sand in order to avoid all the cleaning that gravel requires. I know I'll have to vacuum the debris off and stir it weekly, but I'm hoping that's all I have to do. Sand doesn't allow for the debris to get caught underneath it like gravel, right?

From my experience, you are correct :)

Honestly I didn't enjoy sand. I set my 10g up originally with pfs. After I started planting it, I had problems getting the plants to stay in the sand, mostly the stem plants. Then I didn't like the way the sand showed debris and it was constantly being stirred up by the slightest movement and settling on all of my plants and rocks. I had problems when siphoning and sweeping the top of the sand, the siphon would suck up the sand or stir it up more. Now then consider that my tank was just a 10g and I only had 1" of sand in it. I did not enjoy my sand and switched to eco-complete.

I just wanted to share my experience with you. A lot of ppl recommended the pfs to me so I think it can work for you, I just didn't like it.

After I started planting it, I had problems getting the plants to stay in the sand, mostly the stem plants. Now then consider that my tank was just a 10g and I only had 1" of sand in it.

I suspect that the troubles you had getting the plants to stay in the sand were at least in part due to only having 1" sand. With 2-3" sand and planting the stems at an angle, the plants probably would have stayed put much better. I've found that sand actually grips HC much better than the Turface MVP.

Granted you had several other things you didn't like about sand, so even with more depth you still may not have liked it.

I love sand, but the one time I used PFS (an off-white color), it didn't turn out very well. The problem for me, though, was the occupants. I had two red claw crabs in the tank, and the problem is that they would dig through the sand and churn it up constantly. Combine that with the fact they were pretty big poopers, the net result is they would often churn up the sand and mix the poop in with the sand in between my cleanings (siphonings), thus making it impossible for me to simply wave the siphon over the surface to gather up the poop & other detritus.

The net result was that over a period of time--maybe 9 months or so--the sand went from a nice off-white color to a really ugly looking "dirty" brownish/blackish/whitish colored mixture. At which point I couldn't stand it anymore and broke down the entire tank and replaced it with a black sand substrate (Tahitian Moon Sand).

So while in general PFS is a great substrate, I would just like to throw out a word of caution when using it with occupants that are real sand diggers or sand churners.

That brings me to another question. What inverts could I get to help stir up the sand. I got some pfs, and its actually white quartz sand, but its pretty looking (for now at least). I have about 1.5 inches of sand, maybe more or less in some places, and I know I have to stir up the sand. Do any inverts stir it up enough that I don't have to do it at all? If not, how often should I stir it up?

After you set the tank up with the sand substrate, you should only have to stir it once or twice for the first few weeks. I haven't really needed to mess with mine much after that.

MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are one of the best inverts for stirring the substrate.

Yeah that's what I've heard. I've never been able to find any for sale though. Would other snails stir it up or should I just try to find MTS?

Place a post in the Barter/Trade forum offering to pay shipping. You should have plenty on the way to you in no time. Generally they hitchhike in on live plants or are given away free by LFS. So most people with planted aquariums have a generous supply available.

Back
Top Bottom