Is this a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpAceGiRl94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

So quick opinion poll. I recently got a tiny betta (named Cutie) and have been keeping her in a 1.5 gallon tank for a quarantine period. I didn't like how small it was so I thought I would try her in my 10 gallon with my 2 female platies. Well, 1 of my platies passed away which left me with 1 platy, and I was double checking how this platy and betta would get along. Long story short, I found some horror stories on bettas killing platies and changed my mind on letting them inhabit the tank in the same space. Then I realized - I could divide the tank and give each fish a 5 gallon space of their own where they can't get to each other. Is this a good idea? And then when my platy passes on I can get another betta for the unoccupied space (after a quarantine period of course).

What are your thoughts?

5 gallons is cramped for a platy. They also should be kept in a school.

My vote would be to take the platy to your LFS and donate it or give it away to someone.

Yeah I've read mixed opinions about the size requirements for a platy online. One person said nothing under 20 gallons for a school and another said that they've had like four females in a five gallon for 2 years (and they're the original fish). So that's one reason why I'm asking opinions on here - I'm wanting everyone to pitch in with recommendations so then I can decide.

The LFS is definitely an option that I'm considering though. I just gave my single tiger barb to them (he was a rescue from my local Walmart shutting down their live fish section).

Yeah I've read mixed opinions about the size requirements for a platy online. One person said nothing under 20 gallons for a school and another said that they've had like four females in a five gallon for 2 years (and they're the original fish). So that's one reason why I'm asking opinions on here - I'm wanting everyone to pitch in with recommendations so then I can decide.

The LFS is definitely an option that I'm considering though. I just gave my single tiger barb to them (he was a rescue from my local Walmart shutting down their live fish section).

In would agree get rid of the platy too small of a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I'll see if my LFS will accept her as a donation. Or I'll offer her to my neighbor (she will be getting my other ten gallon as a graduation gift - it doesn't have any fish in it currently). Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom