Is this a good stocking idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so for my 75 gallon I wanna buy these fish. What do you think?
7 angel fish
6 cherry barbs
6 neon tetra
5 skirt tetra
3 cory catfish
5 zebra danio
5 fancy guppy
4 hi fin platy
5 red minor tetra
5 ballon belly molly
1 pleco

Is that good?

Thanks
Brian

To many angelfish try 4 and Molly's are brackish angels will eat neons and I would bump up your Cory school

Odd numbers are not recommended because they will pair off and beat the odd one out to death. Angels can be mean when they get there mind to it

You have 3 different schooling fish in small numbers all of them do well in larger schools bump up your Tetras or Cherry barbs to 10 they will do much better. I did large schools of cardinals and cherry barbs in a 75 and it looked great.

Ok so for my 75 gallon I wanna buy these fish. What do you think?
7 angel fish
6 cherry barbs
6 neon tetra
5 skirt tetra
3 cory catfish
5 zebra danio
5 fancy guppy
4 hi fin platy
5 red minor tetra
5 ballon belly molly
1 pleco

Is that good?

Thanks
Brian

In my opinion I believe that 6 angels should be fine. I have 6 angels in my 55 gallon long I believed it would be too little space for them all but my LFS (they are very nice and very trustworthy) told me that 6 should be fine as long as I don't add more. So in my opinion, as long as you do frequent water changes, I believe 6 is okay. I do agree with keeping them in an even number.
Also, just so you know, minimum tank size for plecos is 75 gallons because they grow HUGE. You an okay size for it, but just letting you know if you go by the inch per gallon rule. Also, they are good at eating up your algae, but they poop. A TON. Another reason why water changes will need to be frequent.
You may also want to increase your schooling fish sizes. They won't be as happy and won't act how they would in nature if they aren't schooled properly. It stresses them and causes them to die sooner. I would suggest completely knocking off the black skirts or red minors (or whichever school you don't enjoy as much) and increase the size of other schools. I recently did this and got rid of my 4 X-ray tetras and my 3 black skirt tetras because I believed they simply weren't happy enough and I wanted to increase the size of my red eye tetra school.
As for the mollies, yes they are brackish water. However, I've kept mollies in my complete freshwater (no salt added) and they did fine. I've also added pinches of salt to my tank because it's supposed to be good for all fish to have just a pinch. However, some people believe the exact opposite. Tetras are known to be extremely sensitive to salt, but I've had no problems with them when I added a touch of salt for experimentation for a better life for all my fish. They also did fine with salt and heat (in a bigger amount) for ich treatment. It goes either way, so I guess it all goes on the own aquarist's beliefs.
I've never owned danios or barbs so I'm afraid I can't help you there, but from the info I've picked up from here and from my LFS, I believe that is an okay amount to have of each, but I could be wrong.

Overall, for a 75 gallon, you seem to have a decent amount of fish that will all get along just fine. If in doubt or to double check, I'd check out AQAdvisor if you haven't already. Don't completely lean on it for support, but it's very good at getting you a good start and idea.

I hope I could help! And make sure to take in other fellow aquarist's opinions too! I'm no expert, I go off of my own experiences and the words for LFS employees.

Black skirt and white skirt tetras may nip at your angels fins so I would be cautious

Back
Top Bottom