Is this a Krib Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rohitp78

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is first .. seems to me like a male.... Is it?

Attachments

• krib-1-2.jpg
    krib-1-2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 33
  • krib-1-3.jpg
    krib-1-3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 39
Krib 2 looks to me like a female is it??

Attachments

• krib-2-1.jpg
    krib-2-1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 27
  • krib2-3.jpg
    krib2-3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 44
First is definitely a male. The males don't have bright pink bellies, and their dorsal fin is much more pointed, and is longer in that pointed area.

The second does look like a female...has the pink tummy...and the tail doesn't look as long. Females have a more rounded tip on their tail and thus not quite as long.

She looks like she's showing off to start breeding. If you have any other fish in the tank, you may want to remove them. Sometimes kribs breed quietly, other times (like with my male) they kill every other fish in the tank.

In fact, my male has killed two female kribs now :(

Once the fry are free swiming, move them. Kribs often cull the fry and you'll be left with none. I like to just siphon them out with a gravel vac hose and put them in a grow out tank.

And lastly, I like the Tetra mini-granuals for cichlids for feeding the fry, as they are small bites to start with, and crush easily with finger tips.

Thanks for the reply malkore

I just got this pair on saturday, when i selected this female she had bright colors and red belly, but she was alone in a tank. Due to bright colors i as well as the guy at local LFS thought that it was a male.

The male i got was in a different tank and we chose the fish with light colors as for a female (usually males have bright colors). But turned out that this is a pair just other way around.

Now the male always chases female till she finds some place to hide. But when the female has no place to hide or run then she shows her belly to male as well as shivers. I have added two homes on each corner of my 30 gallon tank.

Other tank mates are
1 male Ram who gets busted many times
1 Rainbow, krib male is actually afraid of him
4 harlequin rasbora
2 otos
1 rubbernose pleco.

Kribs have ample space to swim around as well as hide (i have big a artificial driftwood), i have no other tank except quarantine tank, Will they be ok in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom