Is this a starfish or something else??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alicia&Chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So we just started a salt water tank and a very new to this. We bought a used 42 gal hex tank with live rock. Had the rock set up for a few days added a pair of clown and today we bought a live plant called a gree star polyp. While looking at out tank I found what looks like a baby starfish. Now where we bought the plant had red starfish in the tank. But this is small greenish body and covered in white on top. These are the best pics we could get.

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 56
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 55
Yeah that is an asterina, and they are not babies of the red sea star you saw at the LFS.. that's a different species. Btw, the green star polyps aren't plants, they are coral. ;)

However, coral does have algae inside of their bodies and that algae feeds through photosynthesis.. so i guess you could think of them as saltwater plants lol. But they are called coral, just FYI.

if it's an asterina it's the first one I have seen with all of it's full arms attached.

Make sure you put the green star polyps on a rock that you can easily remove from the tank. They can grow very quickly and can take over large parts of the tank.

So, Let's hope you are not rushing into this.
1) Did you cycle your tank?
2) What are your readings, SG(salinity), ammonia (NH3), NitrIte(NO2) and NitrAte(NO3) and Temp...
I'm thinking you did. Was the tank setup and you just moved it to your home?

Back
Top Bottom