is this a terrible idea? Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got my 90 liter (24 g) going nicely now, and am setting up my old 30 liter (8g) to be a quarantine tank.

Once I've finished quarantining the new fish I want to add to my bigger tank, I was thinking of putting a betta in the smaller tank.

Of course that means I no longer have a quarantine tank.

Would it be a terrible idea to move the betta temporarily into the larger tank for when I need the smaller as a quarantine tank?

Only obvious thing I can think of is that there should be no nippy fish in the larger tank?

It's your choice if you want to keep a quarantine tank available. It's usually not a big deal to set one up. A 10g, heater, and an air pump are all that is needed.

Technically you don't even need a tank, just a container that will accommodate a heater and filter.

Moving the betta would depend on your betta, it may or may not tolerate other fish. If you did move it and it started fighting, where would you put it until it's tank was available again?

Honestly you can move the beta to a glass of water. Many people keep betas in tiny tanks and no heaters.

Honestly you can move the beta to a glass of water. Many people keep betas in tiny tanks and no heaters.

Many people do it.. but not for long. Their bettas die very quickly under those circumstances. I wouldn't use anything less that a heated filtered 2.5 gallon tank.

Many people do it.. but not for long. Their bettas die very quickly under those circumstances. I wouldn't use anything less that a heated filtered 2.5 gallon tank.

Didnt say it was ideal conditions for a betta just that it would work for a few weeks if need be however you are correct if you can avoid putting them in a tiny unheated tank then you should.

There are hob breeder boxes that would work very well to temporarily house a hertz. They work through an air pump feeding water into it. Just get the biggest one you can find.

Some betta's depending on their temperaments work fine in community tanks. So if you want to move him into one of your established tanks either temporarily or permanently you could. That will leave your QT tank open. BUT when adding a betta to a community you will have to watch for aggression by him and against him (fin nippers). I only have 1 betta that is housed in his own planted tank as he gives new meaning to the word of fish aggressive. I have another betta in a community 12g planted tank and currently have 3 male betta's in my 100% planted 220g tank. You have options.

Back
Top Bottom