Is this a type of algea ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this brown stuff popping up all over my tank, I checked the water it is fine. I have 4 snails to take care of algea but this stuff is just growing.
I took a pic. but it's not a good one. It's all over my filter and glass. Also along the sand bed.

Also the stuff floating is food I took this during their dinner.

Any advise would be helpful.

Your link didn't work.
How old is your tank? Could just be diatoms which is pretty normal for newer set ups. Is it slimy or powdery?

Hi if you just copy and paste the link into your browser it will work.
This sit up is only about a month old. I think it's more slimy feeling.

Thanks

I cant really tell either. If it's slimy and comes up in sheets, it could be the beginnings of cyano.

I guess what i'm wondering is what are Diatoms? Are they bad?, if so what steps should be taken to remove them?

Also what is cyano is that bad?

Thanks

Actually, diatoms are a natural part of a maturing tank. But, they aren't slimy. Since your system is pretty new, it could be diatoms and a good cleanup crew will help get rid of it, (snails, hermits) as well as time.
Cyano is actually a bacteria that feeds on high phosphates and is a real pain to get rid of. Most times it's a crimson red but can be brownish and also greenish in color.

Back
Top Bottom