Is this aquarium setup overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank size: 29 gallons
Filter: aquaclear 50
Planted
Fish

2 Keyhole Cichlid (pair)
2 Apistogramma trifasciata (pair)
2 Peacock Gudgeon (pair?)
1 Honey Gourami
8 Tetras or dwarf rainbows of some kind (rummynose,neon, or praecox...)

1 Zebra nerite snail
3 Cherry Red/Amano shrimp

So basically I want a pair of keyhole cichlids and apistos as my pairs, a honey gourami centerpiece, and some schooling fish (maybe peacock gudgeons if space permits)...

However, I'm a little concerned about the keyholes because I heard from some sources that they get to be 2.5 inches, and some 6 inches. Would they be happy and thrive in this tank setup?

Suggestions?

Thanks again for everyone's advice, it's been really helping me start my first aquarium :)

Edit: also would I have any issues with 3 pairs of fish? I don't really want to breed, just have pairs that are happy together with each other's company...

29 gallons is pretty small for 3 pairs of any kinda cichlids imo even if dwarf cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tetras will get destroyed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally wouldn't keep peacocks less than a 1M/2F trio (y)

I personally wouldn't keep peacocks less than a 1M/2F trio (y)

Thanks! What if I do

1 honey gourami
1 Apistogramma trifasciata
3 peacock Gudgeon (1m:2f)
2 Keyhole Cichlid

Would there be enough room for all the lower strata fish? Also, would the lone apisto get lonely without any partners? And what are some mid-top swimming schooling fish that are small that wouldn't interfere with the lower fish? Thanks!

Thanks! What if I do

1 honey gourami
1 Apistogramma trifasciata
3 peacock Gudgeon (1m:2f)
2 Keyhole Cichlid

Would there be enough room for all the lower strata fish? Also, would the lone apisto get lonely without any partners? And what are some mid-top swimming schooling fish that are small that wouldn't interfere with the lower fish? Thanks!

Just a heads up my keyhole is an easy 4" and is super beefy. 2 keyholes are going to take up a lot of room in that tank. Also they need a lot of cover if they get spooked they will plow over anything in their way (they are scaredy cats). Here's Guido before the change to planted and he's grown since then.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436305220294.jpg
    1436305220294.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 51
Just a heads up my keyhole is an easy 4" and is super beefy. 2 keyholes are going to take up a lot of room in that tank. Also they need a lot of cover if they get spooked they will plow over anything in their way (they are scaredy cats). Here's Guido before the change to planted and he's grown since then.

Aww he's so cute. What size is your tank?

Also do you think putting less fish in my aquarium would be better or should I save the pair of keyholes for a bigger tank?

Aww he's so cute. What size is your tank?

Also do you think putting less fish in my aquarium would be better or should I save the pair of keyholes for a bigger tank?

Mine is a 55g. Putting less fish isn't bad but finding the right community along with good filtration and maintenance. I think the keyholes will be too big for your tank imo.

No Cleithracara maronii in a 29 as a permanent home. I would say 30 gallon 36" x 12" min for 1. 40B min for 2. They can and should grow to 5 to 6"

Back
Top Bottom