Is this blue xenia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
]I am trying to get xenia established in my aquarium. I had a couple of very small frags... put them a small glass bowl with netting over them & a rubber band. One frag grew quickly & was moved out. The other grew slower and looked slightly different from the first. It grew a bit taller & was not as white. I took it out today and realized that it has be a different variety. I'm thinking maybe blue xenia from what I've read but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure. I took these pics but the color difference doesn't show up very well. I read somewhere that if you're not sure about blue xenia to look at it with a flashlight. The color difference was much more obvious then. Also, the part of the coral that pulses (I'm not sure what you call that part but if it were a flower it would be the petals) doesn't look frilled like the white. I'm attaching pics.... I wish they were better. Please let me know if you think it is blue xenia.... or something else. Thanks!

Attachments

• blue xenia- is this blue xenia.jpg
    blue xenia- is this blue xenia.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 112
  • white pom pulsing xenia...I think.jpg
    white pom pulsing xenia...I think.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 93
  • blue xenia- is this blue xenia- using flashlight.jpg
    blue xenia- is this blue xenia- using flashlight.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 95
  • white pom pulsing xenia...I think- under flashlight.jpg
    white pom pulsing xenia...I think- under flashlight.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks! Is it just slower growing or do I need to do something to encourage it:) Also, is it any particular kind?

Both xenia and anthelia (waving hand coral) can spread at near-invasive proportions in some tanks.

Interestingly xenia may have a reputation of struggling in other tanks.

Back
Top Bottom