Is this Canal Neuromast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccronje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

One of my 4 Geophagus Tapajos has had these white spots on it's head for quite a while. Does this appear to be canal neuromast, or is it something genetic?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 5
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi All,

One of my 4 Geophagus Tapajos has had these white spots on it's head for quite a while. Does this appear to be canal neuromast, or is it something genetic?

Thanks

Chris
Those appear to be in the wrong location to be canal neuromast. It's more likely they are the beginning of Hole in the head or possibly worms that are trying to leave the fish. With Geophagus being bottom feeders, they easily can pick up worm species while feeding that just live within the muscular portions of the fish. Many worm species need to leave the fish in order to breed which means that you are going to see pimples that turn into bumps that turn into open sores. Did you do any kind of deworming when you got the fish?

Those appear to be in the wrong location to be canal neuromast. It's more likely they are the beginning of Hole in the head or possibly worms that are trying to leave the fish. With Geophagus being bottom feeders, they easily can pick up worm species while feeding that just live within the muscular portions of the fish. Many worm species need to leave the fish in order to breed which means that you are going to see pimples that turn into bumps that turn into open sores. Did you do any kind of deworming when you got the fish?

Thank you Andy for the reply. I have never dewormed them...can you suggest a good treatment?

Thank you Andy for the reply. I have never dewormed them...can you suggest a good treatment?

My friends have been having good success with Fritz Expel-P ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritz-expel-p ) If you can't get this, get something with Levamisole HCl ( which is the main ingredient of Expel-P. ) Other de-wormers like Praziquantal and Metronidazole do not treat the kind of worms I believe these are. (y)
Use this in a bare bottom hospital tank so that you can see if any worms come out of the body.

My friends have been having good success with Fritz Expel-P ( https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritz-expel-p ) If you can't get this, get something with Levamisole HCl ( which is the main ingredient of Expel-P. ) Other de-wormers like Praziquantal and Metronidazole do not treat the kind of worms I believe these are. (y)
Use this in a bare bottom hospital tank so that you can see if any worms come out of the body.

Thank you for the advice Andy. the Firts products are not available here, but I'll look for something local with that ingredient.

Thank you for the advice Andy. the Firts products are not available here, but I'll look for something local with that ingredient.

(y)(y) At least you know which ingredient to search for. (y) If you are in the U.S., I can suggest a company that ships the Fritz line. (y)

Back
Top Bottom