Is this Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lednura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed last night and today that one of my guppies has a couple of white dots on its tail and fin. I thought at first that maybe it was just some sediment that had settled but after noticing it again tonight I wanted to know.

I just treated my water with PimaFix and also raised the temperature to what I read is the highest guppies and neon tetras can take which is 26C (79F).
I've had some ammonia problems over the last few days which have been fluctuating and I've been trying to control it but saw that that also aids to ich. I've been treating my water with Ammo-Lock by API to detoxify the ammonia and was advised to try Prime, but then after purchasing I read that Prime basically just does the same thing as Ammo-Lock in detoxifying but doesn't rid ammonia? I've been doing 50% water changes every second day since last Friday and it's still fluctuating from 0.25 to 0.50.

I've provided photos of the affected sites below.

16804634_10155848439289937_959550289_o.jpg
16753878_10155848439229937_1849593750_n.jpg

Being only on the fins I would say no ,not ich.
But I would watch closely in case it turns into something more serious.
Look into lymphocystis although I don't think you have much to worry about.
Lympho is viral and has no cure or treatment.

I've just got rid of an ich problem. I think if it was ich there would be a lot more white spots as they reproduce very quickly. Easier to prevent it then treat it. Hope all is well :)

Imo it looks like ich. In my expierence it can certainly start on the fins. Has there been any rubbing or flashing.

Any ammonia is bad for sensitive species of fish, fancies. It will make your fish sick and often they wont ever pick back up.
Why are you using primifax at all, let alone for ick? It is useless stuff, and some people even say it can cause damage to the gills of the fish with the oil. Toss that junk in the garbage and dont waste money on it ever again. Its just a big hoax, a $$$$ maker for pet stores.
Get your tank fully cycled, dont overfeed, and when its all clear and peaceful healthy smelling and looking, get more fish.
Dumping in meds and ammo lock chips now and not changing the water is just gonna foul the water more, and slow down the bacterial cycle process and waste $$$.

I would not instantly resort to using medicines with chemicals, ive fought off ick in many of my tanks and everytime i have never used medicine. i simply raise the temperature add half does of aquarium salt, if you dont have cory cats, and then do gravel vacs every other day.

When the parasite falls of the fish it lands in the gravel and that is the best place to pick it off so gravel vac water changes are a must.

led...

Up the water changes to 75 percent. Avoid putting chemicals into the tank water other than the additive to remove chlorine and chloramine. Seachem's "Safe" is an excellent product. It will detoxify the ammonia. I would add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. Two teaspoons in every 5 gallons of replacement water to boost the fishes' immune system and to retard parasite growth. Reduce the amount you feed to a little a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks. If your fish aren't well, they won't eat much. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material too. If you have parasites, vacuuming will remove some of them. Raise the temperature of the tank water to 80 degrees. This will shorten the lifespan of the parasite.

You can follow these steps for as long as needed. Once the parasite has been removed, you can return the tank to routine settings, but keep doing the 50 percent water changes every week.

B

Back
Top Bottom