Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MairaWright

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416644210.558713.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416644249.871605.jpg

I am worried about these fish. They tend to hide and lay low. Sometimes the mickeys are more active and swim around

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you checked the ph and/or gh? Something may be wrong with the water or maybe they need a more planted aquarium.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe they just live in a Pinapple under the Sea guys?? What are the tank parameters? Tell us everything about the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No that is called clamping their fins, and its a sign of stress and illness. Have you tested your water? I am guessing you have ammonia or something else off with your water or you purchased sick fish (especially if you got them from a large petstore chair like petco).

Agree with ppo. They are stressed and/or ill. I've had platies that looked like that, and they sometimes didn't recover. I don't have much luck with platies, period, for some reason. Yes, tell us what your PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are. Also like ppo said, sadly, fish purchased from a Petsmart or Petco more often than not tend to be sick, or are incubating something.

So true, I never have luck with platys. I dont know why as I can keep everything else, even sensitive fish, but not the platys. I am guessing they have been so largely bred that they are just a weak species now, which sucks because they are cool little fish.

Yes! I also have luck with more delicate fish (for the most part) but platies and mollies, forget it! They always die within days, weeks or maybe a couple of months. I've only kept one alive for over a year.

Back
Top Bottom