Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gforee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We set up out tank on 12/24. Put fish in. Kept up with water changes and levels. Last Sunday, we got the nitrite levels coming up (finally) and the ammonia dropped. Checked again tuesday and Thursday. Same results: rising nitrite, ammonia at/near zero. Today, nitrite reads zero and ammonia has spiked back up to 4!! What??? My son broke our bubbler. Could that be an issue?

If the tank is still cycling the ammonia will sometimes do that. Have you been doing water changes frequently? Doing a large water change may help.

Sent from my iPhone

I highly recommend dosing with Seachem Prime. Seachem. Prime

+1 before and after a water change. New tanks can be unstable for a while. Also, double check your tests if they seem way off. Hopefully you are using liquid tests. Sometimes you can get too many drops without seeing it happen in the test tube.

+1 before and after a water change. New tanks can be unstable for a while. Also, double check your tests if they seem way off. Hopefully you are using liquid tests. Sometimes you can get too many drops without seeing it happen in the test tube.

I'm pretty sure dosing a tank before a WC kinda defeats the purpose, no ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It detoxifies ammonia and adds extra protection when refilling the tank for chlorine.

I'm well aware of what it does. What I don't understand is that you said to do it BEFORE a WC. The tank should have been treated BEFORE/AS adding fresh water. Not before draining it.

I'm well aware of what it does. What I don't understand is that you said to do it BEFORE a WC. The tank should have been treated BEFORE/AS adding fresh water. Not before draining it.

Yes before adding fresh water. After adding fresh water to ensure all chlorine is gone as there is an unexplained ammonia spike and to detoxify any ammonia. Perhaps my original post wasn't stated clearly enough for the AA police. My apologies

I use API products and have used AmmoLock since day 1. I had just never heard of a tank with rising nitrite start to lose it and go back into the ammonia stage. That was my question. Thank you for all of your help! I just kept up with the same routine and the nitrite is back on the rise with the dropping ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom