is this overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so after moving my green spotted puffer to his 30gal tank, we were staring at an empty 20gal on our bedroom dresser. I went out and bought some fish. (I know it seems like alot to add at once, but they were all in the same tank and my lfs)

I got:
6 zebra danios
6 glowlight tetras
5 neons ( i have to go back and get another one there were supposed to be 6 in the bag)

will this be overstocked with a betta? we wanted to do something kinda 'simple' for the kids.

I had also picked up some shrimp. the guy at the lfs said they were sold to them as algae shrimp, but he said he had a regular go in there and said they are amano. But anyways one of the females is prego. Should i be putting the shrimp in their own tank. or is really that hard to get the shrimplets to survive (should i even bother, they were going to be food for my gsp)

thanks in advance everyone!

I would say the tank isn't overstocked, even with the betta.

I wouldn't feed amanos to your puffer. Shrimp make interesting additions to your tank and amanos can be difficult to find. Java moss does a great job of providing cover for shrimplets. I have a thriving populations of RCS in my guppy tank because the java moss protects the shrimplets from the throngs of hungry guppies.

Not overstocked, but too many to add at once IMO. Even though they were in the same tank at the LFS, they are new bioload to your tank. Keep a sharp eye on your water parameters.

I can almost identify your shrimp by price.... under $1, ghost shrimp. Above $2, amano. Have a pic? If they are amanos, you won't need to worry about shrimplets. They need brackish conditions to reproduce.

yes i am testing the parameters every day, they were added on sunday and everything is still good.
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates around 10-20
ph between 7-7.5

i can try and get a pic but they are mostly hiding. but they were 2 for $2 or 1 for $1.49

i did some research and they don't look like ghost or amano...the amanos look like they have spots on them, mine dont...and they dont really look like ghost shrimp...i dunno what they are lol

i guess after closer observation they do look more like amano than the other shrimp i've seen browsing around.

was there a reason why i shouldn't feed them to my puffer or was just an opinion. we put one of them in a tank with my gsp and he chased it for a bit and then it seemed like he got bored with it and left it alone.

It was just an opinion. Amano shrimp usually go for a few dollars a piece. If you really don't like them, consider trading them for the species of ghost shrimp that will breed in freshwater. You should be able to get several ghost shrimp per amano shrimp in a trade and if you breed the ghosts, you'll have a good food supply for your puffer.

Plus they are very cool shrimp that do a better job on algae than any other. ;)

well, i guess i got some really cool shrimp in my tank then. it's very rare that i see any of my lfs with shrimp so when i saw them i grabbed them. i'll keep looking around for some ghost shrimp.

thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom