Is this really necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I purchased a Marineland Power Penguin 150 filter a few days ago. Then, thinking that might not be enough for my 34 gallon, I also purchased an AquaTech 20-40 filter. I know that there is no such thing as too much filtration, but If I could return one and still have adequate filtration, that would save me a bit of money. So could I still have good filtration with one or should I keep the 2? I'd be more than happy to keep both so my fish will be healthy, but if the second filter is unnecessary, I'd like to have the money back. Also, if the kind and amount of fish in the tank matters (which it probably does) I'm thinking I'm going to get 9 Tiger Barbs, 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Blue Gourami, and 6 Cory Catfish. (3 Albino 3 Bronze)

:thanks:in advance

Actually, it is possible to have too much filtration. Either one of those sound adequate to me, as long as you don't plan on overstocking. Your stock list is almost pushing it.

It's up to you. Adding more filtration can add some leniency to the stock limit though.

It's always up to you, but I'd say that wouldn't be too much. a good way to find out is www.aqadvisor.com it's an online stocking calculator that calculates the amount of fish and filtration needed for your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have both. Its better to over filter than only just filter. Many aim for 2-3 x an hour water circulation but I like to have 8-10x. There is no such thing as over filtering but there can be too much flow/current in the tank. Extra filtration gives a little bit of leniency but the nitrates will still rise faster than an under stocked tank.
Aqadviser is a good starting point but I wouldn't trust it exclusively to stock a tank.

MacDracor said:
Actually, it is possible to have too much filtration. Either one of those sound adequate to me, as long as you don't plan on overstocking. Your stock list is almost pushing it.

It's impossible to have too much filtration, but possible to have too much flow.

I would have both. Its better to over filter than only just filter. Many aim for 2-3 x an hour water circulation but I like to have 8-10x. There is no such thing as over filtering but there can be too much flow/current in the tank. Extra filtration gives a little bit of leniency but the nitrates will still rise faster than an under stocked tank.
Aqadviser is a good starting point but I wouldn't trust it exclusively to stock a tank.

All right.....If I kept both it would be a little under 10x water circulation. I think I will keep them. Also, on aqadvisor it says with only one of these I NEED more filtration. I know it can be off but considering how much below adequate filtration I was with one, there probably was some truth to it.

It's impossible to have too much filtration, but possible to have too much flow.

Depending on what you have living in your tank, it is very possible to overfilter. Some animals and plants do well in slightly dirty water. Too much carbon filtration can strip out some essential elements. It is analogous to using RO water in a freshwater tank without adding anything else. Fish need more than just H2O. They need the numerous organic and inorganic compounds found in natural bodies of water. And if you have more than just fish, this becomes even more true.
Ornamental shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. all require calcium to grow their exoskeletons after molting.
I am not saying one is LIKELY to over filter a freshwater tank, but to say "
impossible" is irresponsibly ignoring the amazing diversity of life found in aquariums.

MacDracor said:
Depending on what you have living in your tank, it is very possible to overfilter. Some animals and plants do well in slightly dirty water. Too much carbon filtration can strip out some essential elements. It is analogous to using RO water in a freshwater tank without adding anything else. Fish need more than just H2O. They need the numerous organic and inorganic compounds found in natural bodies of water. And if you have more than just fish, this becomes even more true.
Ornamental shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. all require calcium to grow their exoskeletons after molting.
I am not saying one is LIKELY to over filter a freshwater tank, but to say "
impossible" is irresponsibly ignoring the amazing diversity of life found in aquariums.

Most people on here don't even use carbon filtration. There is not really a use for it if you do proper maintenance. Define "overfiltering"... Do you mean using too much media (such as too much carbon filtration), too much flow, etc. Amount of filtration is not the same as type of filtration. Having too many (well, you can never really have too many... More than necessary I should say) sponges, floss pads or whatever bio media will not ever hurt anything. If you are using carbon and other absorbing media, sure, it's quite possible to over filter a tank. But pretty much all of us don't use carbon or ammonia absorbing media because there is simply no need unless it's a low ph tank. Why would we stuff a ton of useless media in our filters just to "overfilter" it uselessy?

At the risk of getting way off the original topic here... When dealing with a fish forum website filled with people of all experience levels from "could run the Monterey Bay Aquarium better and for less pay" all the way to "why did my bala shark die when i put it in da saltwater tank???" it is never a safe assumption that "pretty much all of us" don't use carbon. Sometimes, it needs to be spelled out for people. State the obvious because it is only obvious to the experienced.
I am in no way implying the OP is inexperienced or needs things spelled out. But plenty of people browse these forums and words like "always", "never", "impossible", "all", and "none" can send people in the wrong direction.
So. Back on topic. Are these two filters too much for this tank? Nah, probably not. Especially with it so highly stocked. But I stand by my statement that it is possible to overfilter a tank.

MacDracor said:
At the risk of getting way off the original topic here... When dealing with a fish forum website filled with people of all experience levels from "could run the Monterey Bay Aquarium better and for less pay" all the way to "why did my bala shark die when i put it in da saltwater tank???" it is never a safe assumption that "pretty much all of us" don't use carbon. Sometimes, it needs to be spelled out for people. State the obvious because it is only obvious to the experienced.
I am in no way implying the OP is inexperienced or needs things spelled out. But plenty of people browse these forums and words like "always", "never", "impossible", "all", and "none" can send people in the wrong direction.
So. Back on topic. Are these two filters too much for this tank? Nah, probably not. Especially with it so highly stocked. But I stand by my statement that it is possible to overfilter a tank.

Yes it is possible, but it depends on the media used. If you're using absorbent media it is easy to over filter a tank. It is way easier to have too much flow than to have too much filtration. We also can't assume that every filter being used on a tank uses carbon and ammozorb. If they only use sponges and bio media, there is no way to over filter it. Too much flow doesn't equal too much filtration. Flow rate isn't the only thing that matters... Also type of media and amount of media.

Back
Top Bottom