Is this safe fir in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The picture of the whitish rock is same rock and the red is petrified tree

image-445010228.jpg

Attachments

• image-3761449658.jpg
    image-3761449658.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1511097147.jpg
    image-1511097147.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 47
Those would all be safe as long as you boil them

Boiling rocks can be dangerous because they could have air pockets which would explode..
I would suggest doing the vinegar test and soaking/scrubbing.

Should be, as long as wash/scrub them. I usually scrub mine under hot water with a toothbrush, then rinse off to remove any loose dirt, sand, etc. that might have been loosened by the scrubbing and hot water.

I think te white one was made by a volcanoe ... Thy both came from parks from my great grandfather I think before it was illegal to take stuff

Do you have hard water, or are you keeping fish that prefer hard water and alkaline pH ?
I ask because many petrified wood specimens have some calcium in them, which won't cause any issues to speak of in the type of tank I mentioned, but might if you are going with soft/acidic water.

The possibly volcanic type of rock could also be lime [ calcium ] based. Do the acid test on both so you know.

Vinegar works best on rocks with high lime content, if you boil the vinegar first it will work better when it's hot.

Pickle vinegar, @7% acetic acid, works better than regular vinegar, which is 5% acetic acid. If you happen to have some CLR around, it works better than any vinegar will, and rinses off in clean water as easily as vinegar does. It has a different type of acid in it, one that dissolves calcium much faster, so it will show even tiny amounts of calcium in rocks.

If you see any sign of fizzing or bubbling, there is calcium in the rock, and it's not suitable to use in a soft or acidic water tank. But in hard or alkaline pH, it's not a big issue, unless it's nearly all calcium, like marble would be, and even then, depends what you are keeping. Snails would like it, most shrimp would, and hard water fish would too.

I need high ph for my snails anyways... I have guppys endlers dwarf gourami and cory cat

Back
Top Bottom