Is this safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
H, I found this rock a couple days ago. Since then, I have done vinegar test, let soak in boiling hot water, scrubbed with wire brush, and last night I let in soak in some aquarium water to check for ph changes...no change in ph. So the only thing I am wondering....can rocks leech tannins?
Here is the link to the rock/s
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/66406-albums11445.html

My only concern is the rust looking spots. That usually means iron. Do you have anywhere close like a place that sells rocks that could look at it? We have a local shop that sells rocks & fossils called 'I 've Got Rocks In My Head'. Owner s a strange dude but really knows geology.

It doesn't look safe to me... all those shiny spots makes me think there's metals which would not be good to add into the aquarium. But I'm not a geologist, so not sure.

It's pretty standard not to use any rocks that might have metals in them. You can find pretty much info on metals in rocks used in aquariums and why you don't want to use them.

My only concern is the rust looking spots. That usually means iron. Do you have anywhere close like a place that sells rocks that could look at it? We have a local shop that sells rocks & fossils called 'I 've Got Rocks In My Head'. Owner s a strange dude but really knows geology.

Yeah the "rust looking" spots was my concern.... someone saw them and said it was dirt...was directed to do better scrubbing....what yah know it is dirt...however how can I be sure?

Yeah the "rust looking" spots was my concern.... someone saw them and said it was dirt...was directed to do better scrubbing....what yah know it is dirt...however how can I be sure?

Why not avoid any possible screw-ups by buying all your rocks from a stone cutter/reseller of some sort. There's a place near me called Betz Cut Stone and they sell everything from granite to sandstone. They know exactly what kind of rock they're selling you, and exactly what's in it. There must be a place like that near you. Dirt cheap too. Rockscapes for 90 gallon malawi tanks for $5.

Back
Top Bottom