Is this slate safe foe cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am wanting to build some caves with this slate I have. Just unsure if it is safe due to the silver color to it. I have read some slate is unsafe. Thanks

Attachments

• image-1589424999.jpg
    image-1589424999.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 199
  • image-408260644.jpg
    image-408260644.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 175
Yup boil it for a good long time, at least 30min. Before putting it the tank either get a file or use a waste peice of slate to smooth all the sharp edges. I mean all of them or the fish will cut themselves on it.

A quick test for anything you arent sure of is to place a few drops of vinegar on the surface. If it bubbles dont put it in the tank. That test isnt 100% sure for everything but will suffice for rock. If it bubbles, it will break down in the tank. real slate is pretty much safe though.

Retired_AF said:
A quick test for anything you arent sure of is to place a few drops of vinegar on the surface. If it bubbles dont put it in the tank. That test isnt 100% sure for everything but will suffice for rock. If it bubbles, it will break down in the tank. real slate is pretty much safe though.

I love this forum, i never knew about that simple test thank you

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm still unsure about this particular piece of slate.. After soaking again after breaking it up, I still have residue coming off. I read that slate that has silver and gold color can contain metals that can poison the fish. Guess i will be looking for different slate. Bummer for I have saved this slate for years to use in this tank when I was ready.

i have used slate like that for a few years in my fishtank, has had no bad effect, fish seem to love it. if you look at the DIY section, i have recently built a massive slate piece for same slate, works a treat.

rustypleco said:
i have used slate like that for a few years in my fishtank, has had no bad effect, fish seem to love it. if you look at the DIY section, i have recently built a massive slate piece for same slate, works a treat.

Cool keep up the good work. I used to keep the south American cichlids then east Africans those fish were always rearranging my tank. :)

Noneck56 said:
Cool keep up the good work. I used to keep the south American cichlids then east Africans those fish were always rearranging my tank. :)

that's why I went for slate. Bit heavy for themlol

I also have slate in my tanks. I've had no issues with it. Just make sure to "dull" the sharp edges. I usually just use another piece of slate that's not going in the tank and rub the edges off with that.

Mlani said:
I also have slate in my tanks. I've had no issues with it. Just make sure to "dull" the sharp edges. I usually just use another piece of slate that's not going in the tank and rub the edges off with that.

+1. Slate can be very sharp. But if you put in the time can be very rewarding.

That looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Be careful with slate when you do tank maintenance. If you bang rocks around they can start splitting.

Back
Top Bottom