Is this what you mean by splitting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had it next to the shelf rock...it started to lean towards it, then the next morning it was attached to the shelf and it now moving the rock it came on around as it does what it's doing...should I do something??

Sorry about the picture quality. It was 3a.m. and I was trying to get a picture of a hitchhiker snail so I could get an ID. She's also usually full and pulsing. The red is my flashlight.

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

gesh, wonder if I can sell some back to the LFS :)

Will it sting other things, like Zoas? The only things that I'm putting in this tank are polyps and zoas.

Yes, no sting, more of a suffocate <g>.
I am finally rid of all of mine. It was so nice when I first put it in the tank. But, I did not isolate it and and it started to spread, and spread, and spread.

I have had some as well. I it is a beautiful coral and looks great if you get a good group of it all pulsing but it is very hard to keep under control.

Put it at the very top of the tank for one. Also, when it moves to another rock, let it get thick enuf and try to pull it off. Takes practice and a stalk thick enuf to grab hold of.

I actually had a farm going for a while and was taking 6-8 frags (mounted on small rock) to the LFS almost monthly for $8 a piece.

hmmm, that would be nice. I'll have to see what my LFS will do for me. Now I'll have to start thinking about a frag tank, lol. My husband is going to divorce me!

I would check if they take it before you go into farm mode lol. Mine wouldn't accept it, they had enough already.

I have heard of people just going in with scissors and clipping heads off and just throwing it away they had so much. You probably have awhile before you have to worry about that.

I've had a hard time convincing my family it's an animal not a flower, now they'll see me cutting it's head off. :shocked!:lol

Yea, this stuff is terrible. Grows TOO well. If only my nuclear green palythoas would grow like that! Oh, and my acroporas! ;-)

My LFS HATES the stuff. So I am stuck with pulling it out and flushing it!

I dont cut with scissors because:
1-The stuff releases a NASTY substance that I believe nuked my tank last year.
2-It will rapidly grow back and continue to encroach.

You may try putting a torch coral near it. :eggface: ZZZAAPPP!
Its not that hard to just grab the stalk with tweezers and carefully pull the hole critter off the rocks. Run carbon while you do this as the stuff fouls the water when bothered.

Ive got the giant kind that DOESNT pulse. So in other words, an eyesore that bothers the other corals. I was able to pull most out though.

EDIT: Maybe Jimbo could lend you his mean acan to "teach it a lesson". :-D

Matt

Galaxia packs a mean punch too.

My acan is like mike tyson tho. I could prolly rent him to you :p

Back
Top Bottom