isolation tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok. Got a 29 G tank for xmas. my first tank. despite bad water and other complications largely due to ignorance, my tank with 6 leopard danios and 5 cardinal tetras is finally stabilizing. everyone survived.
today i bought a 10 G tank for isolation/ hospital purposes. Opted for a sponge filter. Put sponge filter in 29 G to colonize.
Q: How long until enough of a colony is established on the sponge?
: I am assuming that with a properly cultivated sponge and some water from the other aquarium that the isolation tank should be ready almost immediately (?) ...
thx in advnc.:confused:

From what I've gathered on here you should just leave the sponge filter in your main tank until you need it in the hospital tank. If you were to just seed it and move it to an empty tank then the beneficial bacteria will starve and die. When not in use my hospital tank is completely empty. When I need it I give it fresh clean water that has been conditioned and move my spare 10g filter from my 50g to the hospital. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've gathered on here you should just leave the sponge filter in your main tank until you need it in the hospital tank. If you were to just seed it and move it to an empty tank then the beneficial bacteria will starve and die. When not in use my hospital tank is completely empty. When I need it I give it fresh clean water that has been conditioned and move my spare 10g filter from my 50g to the hospital. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
sounds right to me

Would this work in the same way with starting up a new tank....set up tank, fill with conditioned water and take 'pre stashed' filter cartridges out of current tank?? Would it be cycled and ready for a couple of fish? Thanks

Thanks that's what I had in mind. I guess I asked the wrong question... I am planning on expanding the community. I want to keep the new guys isolated for about 2 weeks. The sponge went in yesterday... How long do I have to wait until it's ready?

I'm actually not sure on that one. Mine was already seeded from being a stocked tank beforehand. My guess is two weeks maybe...?

Back
Top Bottom