Itchy Arowana.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spring007

Aquarium Advice Regular
My arowana keeps on rubbing itself against the rockwork in my aquarium...
Its not chlorine poisoning because I put chlorine free water in my tank....
I have treated the water with a solution of Sodium Chloride and Merbromine for ich and it didn't work.Then I tried the anti bacterial medicine Trimethiazole. I know both of them are really strong but I had to use them since the ich and the other bacteria have become resistant to all the other medications..:((my lfs told me to use them and I trust the guy over there). Even the anti bacterial medicine didn't improve the situation..:(

What should I do?? I'm really confused....

oh.. and I do a 50% water change every week...

The itching is called "flashing" and is what a fish does when it is being irritated on the skin.

Instead of trying medicines, simply raise your water temperature to 86F and leave it there for 2 weeks. Your problem should be cured. Heat will kill ich, and if that is what is irritating your fish, it will be gone after the treatment.

Also, test your water and give us the readings.

HTH

I increased the water temp to 85...
the water parameters are:
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

For the ick, should be above 86 degrees. Might kick the heater up just 1 more notch. You want the minimum temp fluctuation to be 86 degrees to be effective.

Back
Top Bottom