It's been awhile... restocking my 28 gal bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I think it's been years since I was last here. Things are a little different. ;)

I have a 28 gal bowfront. Fully cycled, has been for years. Over the years, I've had lots of livebearers, a few rosy barbs, and my share of bettas.

I've currently got two platy - one male, one female. I'm really hoping they don't have babies. I'd like to move on to other fish, at last.

I would like some schooling fish, some movement. I would like a little bit of colour too. Possibly also one larger fish. I'm sticking to beginner-type fish.

I'd like a gourami and maybe a school of long-finned danios or a school of tetras (not sure what kind, just something colourful). How many of each could I get? I also don't have a bottom feeder anymore, so I'd have to look for one as well.

Thanks!

welcome back :)

Well good you dont have to wait for it to cycle, I hate that :rolleyes:

Fish-wise you could go with
a single male dwarf gourami (flame, powder blue)-keep in mind they prefer lower ph
a schooling fish, long fined danios could work, but they prefer more space to swim. You could go for almost any tetra your heart desired (with a few exceptions like the congo tetra)
harlequin rasboras would also work, I really like these little guys
I dont know of too many small schooling fish with "flowing fins", or at least, none come to me off the top of my head
you could also have a school of corries or otocinculus (sp?) they are small but will help you with some possible algae issues
HTH a little :)

Since you're looking for color, you might want to take a look at Rainbowfish. They come in a variety of sizes and colors.

Since you're looking for color, you might want to take a look at Rainbowfish. They come in a variety of sizes and colors.
in a 28gall the only ones I would suggest (though are my favorite) are the praecox rainbows, or "dwarf" rainbows. Love them and intend to have some in my 29gall...

There are several other rainbows that stay small enough for that size tank. Threadfin Rainbowfish and Gertrude's Rainbowfish to name a couple. I've actually seen those to at my LFS.

There are several other rainbows that stay small enough for that size tank. Threadfin Rainbowfish and Gertrude's Rainbowfish to name a couple. I've actually seen those to at my LFS.
oh your right! I totally forgot about threadfin, though I have only heard of the gertrude, dont know much of anything about them though...

I will second the rainbows, I have all three and I love them all. Welcome back to AA. It would be great to see a pic of your current setup.

oh your right! I totally forgot about threadfin, though I have only heard of the gertrude, dont know much of anything about them though...

Gertrude's Rainbow is a lovely little fish that only grows to about 1". You can see some pictures of the ones that I kept in my 2.5 gallon, or here is a picture I found searching Google Pictures.

Thanks for the replies!

I've never seen a Gertrude's rainbow before. Very pretty.

Another question - which should I put in first? The small school of fish, or the gourami?

Back
Top Bottom