It's not sinking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristilynn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a piece of driftwood for my pleco. About 10'' BY 3", flat. Have it soaking in water, with a weight to hold it down. Been 3 days now. Still pops up, right away. Have no idea what kinda wood it is. Got it from a lfs. Is there difference in wood for aquariums vs reptiles?:fish1:

Driftwood can be tricky, but think of it this way.. super dense wood will take longer to absorb water through all the cells than softer wood. Reptile tank wood isn't necessarily purchased to be ideal for drift wood. All wood will eventually become waterlogged.

Some types of drift-wood are better for plecos, though I dont remember why. The kind I have adds a slightly rose hue to the water if it were in a small tank.

Pre-soaked driftwood is more expensive.. but FAR less aggravation.

I have a piece that still wants to be a floater. I just pile some rocks around it to hold it down.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just drill some holes into a piece of slate and attach it with stainless steel screws.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mopani and Malaysian driftwood get the best marks for pleco enjoyment, nutrition, and cost/availability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Boil it and it should sink. It just needs to get water in it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi:flowers: I came across a piece written on hawthorn wood (I don't know if that's what this is) that its not good for the aquarium and it wont sink. I was on a site yesterday and saw they sold drift with plant on them. Pretty sure they'd be aquarium safe. There was a choice of different wood. I'll look into the wood mentioned in the earlier response. Now if I can remember which site I was looking at:lol: :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom