Ive done it, Ive managed to kill Java Moss. (Woes of a newb)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bare with me, I could use your advice!

So I thought these planted tanks were beautiful, and I decided to try and plant my 10 gal.

I started off with a 10 and 15W screw-in CF (I think? They were just GE fluorescent light-bulbs...) and some Anacharis.

I stuck the anacharis into my gravel (~1in deep, too little) about an inch apart from each stem, being sure to snip off dead brown bottoms. They were doing good, but the leaves began to melt (perhaps fish ate a few leaves, too) and soon I was left with long, clear, pale greenish-grey stems, save for a few leaves at the very tops.

I removed all the dead-looking ones, and am left with a few green but leafeless stems of anacharis.

I then bought some moneywart, java moss, and new bulbs. I also planted the moneywort about an inch apart from each seperate stem of it. The moss I tied some to a rock with thread, put a loose cotton mesh over some on another rock, and the rest I tied to a clay grotto type thing.
The moss on the (glazed) ceramic is beginning to turn yellowish and dried looking, is it because it can't cling to the glaze? Also my other java moss just is beginning to look a bit dirtied, nothing too healthy...

The bulbs are GE Soft White 25W Screw-ins. T10 it says? There is no K rating, and it says on back it's somewhat ideal for aquariums, perhaps thats due to the tubular shape.

I notice that perhaps part of the problem is that my 30gal HOB tends to blow plants off their 'feet', I'm constantly having to push them back into the gravel...

In short:
Any advice????
Are these bulbs any good?
Anyone know an approximate wpg on my tank?
Anyone know why my plants (JAVA MOSS?!) are dying?
Do I need more gravel (>1in)?

thank you in advance

Sounds like you may not have the nutrients to keep them alive. I've never managed to kill java moss myself, and the 15W bulbs, if they are the 6700k bulbs, should be plenty of light for java moss, and even anacharis. Not sure about the moneywort though. Sounds like the bulbs could be the 2700k, which really isn't too good by itself for plants. Try going to Walmart if you have one nearby and get the 6700k 20W screw-in CF's in the regular bulb section. They are not the spiral type, look for bulbs where the florescents are U-shaped. They do very well for plants.

Also, java moss doesn't need to attach to anything to grow. It can pe used floating and will do just fine. But if you have current, it will go all over the place. As for the dirty looking java moss, if you have Flourish Excel, take some and put it in a bucket with water, then dip the moss in the solution for 10 minutes, then place the java moss back into the tank. It will kill off the algae growing on the moss, and the moss should do well. I did it with mine, and it went algae free for over 3 months. And it's still near algae free now, and most places my java moss is over 6 inches deep, and very bushy.

Definately sounds like the tank is suffering from one or more nutrient deficiencies. What Ferts are you currently dosing (include name, amount, and frequency)? What kind of bioload does your tank have? Nitrate and Phosphate test results?

Also, do you have any fish in the tank? I don't dose my 26G, and my java moss remains lush as I have a fairly heavy bioload. The only thing I do dose is Excel.

I have a pair and a juvenil Splitfin Redtai (Xenotaca Eisini) along with about 7 of their fry. I have a 2in hifin pleco, 2 female guppies, and I just recently removed my 3 fish school of corys. Also, 3 ghost shrimp.

I dont dose any ferts, but I have this fert cone by some german aqua company. Should I put that in there?
What ferts are reccomended? I've heard a lot of good things about Flourish Excel, or something like that...

I killed Java Moss also but it was well beforte I started dosing everything. Java Moss also needsto be kept clean and you need to make sure the lower levels get light. I have recently been sent some Christmas moss and it is growing nicely and I think is a much better choice for moss.

Also, when you tie the java moss, you want to tie it very thin. Not in thick clumps, or it won't do well. I never clean my java moss, lol. It's so full of life now. It had algae before, but after doing the Excel dip, it's as bushy as can be, and no algae, it all melted away.

really i tied mine together in both a bunch of little clumps a few " apart and a big clump which i am trying to cover a little cave i fashioned out of rocks, and to be quite honest my big clump is doing way better then the spread out. i am also havening the same trouble i guess it might be alge where can we get some of this excel? whats the real name ?

Flourish Excel.

If you take about a hald cup of it and put it in a 1G jug, then fill it the rest of the way with water, you can then place the item with java moss on it into the solution, and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Then remove it from the solution and place directly into the tank. Within days, the algae will die off and melt away. Just don't put that much Excel into the tank, could cause problems with your fish. In my 26G, I just do 1 capful evey other day or so to keep it healthy and algae free. I dose no other nutrients, and have a fairly heavy bioload.

Back
Top Bottom