I've had enough of the tube plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. All the Petsmarts in my area have removed the plant tanks, but I'm happy to hear that's not everywhere. I wonder if this is up to the individual store then? If so, I definitely need to be addressing the manager as well.

I know the non-aquatic issue is a universal problem. However, the tube plants are particularly insidious because they cost twice that of a normal plant and, at least in my store, they have taken away all other options. But it did not occur to me that maybe they are not aware that terrestrial plants are sold as aquatics. I certainly believe my local store manager does not know that, so I think I'll do a little education. I have my doubts that PetsMart is that ignorant at the corporate level though. Still, I think I'll explain it a little better rather than assuming.

Thanks, Dan. I think I'm going to alter my approach somewhat.

I think it is great that you are actually writing a letter etc. I would sign your petition if you needed one! :)

I will say that I think you are giving Petsmart corporate too much credit ;) I would not at all be surprised if the curator of aquarium plants at the corporate level has never personally kept an aquarium. I do not believe they hire that way.

Your best angle may be "corporate ethics", in terms of getting them to actually consider what they are selling and how they are selling it.

All of that said, we vote at the cash register in this country... To say that the most effective way to get them off the shelf may be to spread the word on forums like this and get people to stop buying them.

But a nasty letter or two couldn't hurt :D

img_779144_0_9baf8fbbfdd65973249b52cfc47496c4.jpg

These are my plants. They seem to be growing well. Can someone identify them?

Although i agree with the sentiments here, you know its not Petsmart or Petco marketing these things. its the distributors bringing products to market in new and different ways to catch the public eye.

Lets be honest, people who go to Petsmart and Petco are gun shy of plants to start with, if they have ever had them before, because they haven't had any luck with them. Additionally, they are clueless to whats really terrestrial vs non terrestrial, and probably wouldn't listen if you told them.

I have bought from both of these retailers from their plant displays in the past week. My wife checked out the tube plants, and actually considered them for a while so you know that the marketing and packaging work. However, i saw just as many Bamboo plants in the plant display as i did the tube plants section. Also, both of the above retailers had a poor selection of plants, and the prices were ridiculous.

With this being said, I'd still sign your petition on the grounds that misidentifying terrestrial plants as suitable for aquarium use is wrong, and detrimental to the hobby...

so fight the good fight!!

theotheragentm - the right two look like Dracaena sanderiana: http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-276.htm - I have had this plant and it will rot in your tank over time. The one on the left is some kind of sword. May or may not be aquatic.

I was very disappointed to see an independent LFS who just installed a large planted tank for FW plant sales decide to skip out on CO2, ferts, and good lighting... The result is a rotting, horrible display... the reasoning, in his words: Freshwater hobbiests expect champagne on a beer budget. Apparently he felt that he had to field too many complaints from folks who were not willing to invest in the proper setup, but still felt they should have plants, and as a result decided to properly sell and display what they get...

You only need to hang out in the isles at the LFS and over hear conversations that are had to start to question your commitment to FW. The other day I was listening to a lady that was not willing to buy anything larger than a small fish bowl for her son's new fish, because it might require a filter... Needless to say the SW hobby does not suffer nearly the same plight...

Perhaps if plants cost more, people would only get into them that were willing to pony-up and make it work... You don't see folks buying corals without making correct preparations.... Sometimes I wonder if they sold plants at the price they sell corals, if we wouldn't have a healthier planted hobby...

Enough complaining though... If there is anything to be done, it is education. And in many ways this is the place of the LFS... They would not make it long selling false dog food, do I don't see why they should not be called on selling false-aquatic plants.

Hmm, it doesn't look quite the same as what I have my tank, but it's definitely similar at least. It's a waxy looking plant, which leads me to believe it's non aquatic. Wax coverings on plants are so they don't lose water to evaporation. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them and remove them as soon as they look like they're doing poorly. Still, I wish there was some better labeling on the plants.

I've had enough of the tube plants! Update!

Today I went and spoke with the aquatics dept manager.

They've expanded the selection since I'd last seen it. They do in fact have java fern now, so my apologies to hulkamaniac. Also, they have emersed wisteria. There are a larger range of sizes available too, so they are now $3 - $12. Also, they've added a little 10g tank with anacharis. All this subdues my rage a little bit.

Anyways, I spoke with the manager. She said the tube plants are a corporate decision, so if any stores still have their old aquatic display, it will be phased out soon. This was done to reduce maintenance hours for the staff. She is actually a planted tank keeper too, and knew all about the non-aquatics. In fact, she was able to point out which 3 species were aquatic. :) She too was sad to see the plant tank go, and fought hard to get the anacharis tank. Since she was aware of the issue, I asked if there was a way they could only stock the aquatics, but the display is a corporate Plan-o-gram that they can't change (hence the resistence to the anacharis tank). I told her how sorry I was the old tank got taken out. She suggested I go to the local aquarium club auction to pick up plants! I was pretty impressed she even knew the auction was coming up. Then she told me to contact corporate to let them know how I felt.
She was very knowledgable and completely understood. Though I don't think corporate would like to hear that the only way Petsmart could help me get the plants I want is to tell me to go somewhere else.

There was another employee hanging around during this conversation, so hopefully they learned enough to point people to the plants that have a chance of survival.

theotheragentm said:
img_779735_0_9baf8fbbfdd65973249b52cfc47496c4.jpg

These are my plants. They seem to be growing well. Can someone identify them?
i dont know what they are but i have had the one on the right growing for about 2 years in my tank it dosent get any bigger but it dosent die off either and my dempseys only dig it up not shred it

Back
Top Bottom