Jack Dempsey Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. I want a Jack Dempsey really bad. I'm looking at a tank on Craigslist. I saw a 50 gal. Would that be big enough? Could I get any other fish with him? Would a pair be to much? Do they like calm or moving water? Do they eat feeder fish? If so where do I keep them? Will feeders have a chance at introducing disease to my new fish?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/dempsy.php

Most information can be found there. 50 gallons would be the minimum for one fish. They like slow water. All the information about pH and hardness is in the provided link. You could feed feeder fish but there's really no point in it, just do a well-rounded diet with a staple pellets and a quality frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. Maybe live insects if you buy them at the pet store to decrease the risk of pesticides or anything being introduced to your tank. If you wanted to feed feeder fish you'd need to raise your own and realize there isn't much nutritional benefit when compared to a high quality pellet. Feeders can introduce a wide array of parasites and diseases into your tank that will be much more hassle than they're worth.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom