Jack Dempsey tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
What could go with a jack dempsey in a 55 gallon? A green terror? Two convict cichlids? Tiger barbs? Any combination of the above?

Or absolutely any other suggestions you have!

I wouldn't do tigers with it, another member on here lost 10 in a matter of days to a Dempsey. He will get them at night when they are "resting"

I have my female Dempsey with a parrot and a male convict.

Caleb

I wouldn't do tigers with it, another member on here lost 10 in a matter of days to a Dempsey. He will get them at night when they are "resting"

I have my female Dempsey with a parrot and a male convict.

Caleb

:raises hand: This was me. Don't do tiger barbs. I've heard of people using them as dithers and I tried it. My JD is fairly mellow, but wiped out 10 tigers in a matter of days when the lights went out.

JD with green terror is a common housing. I actually have a GT with my JD. There was a female convict in there as well, which can hybridize with the JD. This nearly happened in my tank, luckily I caught it before it happened and rehomed the con.

Jesse

either the GT or convicts should work. I say should because you do get those individuals that don't like anyhting in there territory and there is good possibility your JD has claimed the whole 55 for himself if he is currently alone.

So AqAdvisor says both those combos (1 GT or 2 convicts) would work and are well below max stocking level, but then it comes up with this message:

"Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 130% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Rocio octofasciatum, Andinoacara rivulatus) or get a larger tank."

What should I make of this? As a reminder, it's a 55g tank.

It means once all your fish are max size you will be overstocked a little. AQadvisor is always quite lenient though.

I wouldn't do 2 convicts for the sole reason they breed like wildfire

Caleb

So do you think a 55 would be ok for a fully grown JD and GT? I don't want them to be cramped or anything.

But since no one is responding to that one, do you think dojo loaches or african dwarf frogs would work? Or any other type of aquatic species?

No frogs, they'll be eaten. Loaches probably will too unless they're long, and it'll come down to the jacks personality. You could do catfish. I have a few pictus cats with my JD and GT. None of the other fish even know they exist in the tank.

Jesse

No frogs, they'll be eaten. Loaches probably will too unless they're long, and it'll come down to the jacks personality. You could do catfish. I have a few pictus cats with my JD and GT. None of the other fish even know they exist in the tank.

Jesse

Would pictus be ok in a 55 gal? On liveaquaria it says they need 70 gal (which is weird considering their max size is 5 inches). If so, how many could I put in there?

Yes a 55 is fine for pictus. I have two in mine. As for non-fish tank mates, no. JDs are carnivores and will kill any invert you put in the tank. Caleb (above) found this out when he added a large crayfish to the tank with his female JD.

Jesse

Ok cool, thanks!

AqAdvisor reckons I can have 5 pictus and still have 10% stocking room left. How should I go about introducing the fish to the tank? Pictus before JD as it's territorial? Could I get away with adding 5 pictus at once? I'll have to order them online so the less orders the better. Or maybe 3 pictus at once and two with the JD?

Back
Top Bottom