Jack's 20G Long Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had an alarming ammonia and nitrite spike. I didn't expect for the sponge to instantly cycle the QT tank, but I expected better than this. Within 12 hours, the ammonia jumped to .50 ppm. I did a 25% WC and it didn't even touch it. Did another 50% WC and it still didn't seem to help.

I ran out and got Imagitarium ammonia remover, which I was really hoping to not have to use as it makes the tests inaccurate. I see that it's also a dechlorinator. Should I use the remover instead of dechlorinator, then? I dosed the tank about half as much as it called for as I had already used dechlorinator and didn't want to do another water change tonight. The ammonia test was no different after, but as I understand it, the tests will continue reading the same amount of ammonia regardless.

I plan on doing at least 50% WC every day and use the remover until I can get the ammonia under control. Should 5 cories be causing this much of a spike this quickly in a 10 gallon? I've fed them 3 sinking wafers so far, one every 12 hours and they eat it within an hour. I then use a turkey baster to suck up any detritus and waste.

Did a 60% WC on the QT tank today. Readings about 30 mins after as follows;

KH 5/89
GH 3/54
pH 7.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrite .50
Nitrate 5

Used the ammonia remover as a replacement for plain dechlorinator. Squeezed out the filters and added in a rock that's been in my main tank that I always intended to move. They immediately started cleaning all over it so that was fun to watch. Fed them another wafer and some micro pellets and they happily devoured them.

I did a 80% WC on the 20 in preparation for the new arrivals. I did some general housekeeping. Trimmed plants, moved decor to clean. It was pretty nasty. Now I'm not sure if it's 100% cycled as I'm reading nitrites after the WC. Don't know if I just kicked up a bunch of stuff or what. Readings on the 20 right after the WC:

KH 6/107
GH 3/54
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 2
Nitrates 5

I dosed up to about .5 ammonia in the 20 and am timing it again. I had it down to 24 hours 3 days in a row, so I'm not sure what's up with those nitrites. I'm going to perform another 75% WC the day before the new arrivals get here.

Speaking of them, I bought 12 endlers and 6 neo. shrimp! They are both a mixed batch. For endlers, I got 3 el dorados, 3 red stripe, 3 black bar and 3 red chest. The shrimp are just a grab bag of B grades. Perfect color isn't super important to me, but I like the idea of them all looking a little different.

I went ahead and took some new shots of the tank after the housekeeping.

Q0i2nw0.jpg

PzAJdqc.jpg

7yVBxJT.jpg

The ludwigia recovered well and has done a decent amount of growing. It's even starting to branch toward the bottom and is still retaining some of that awesome red.

4AVw84e.jpg

The hair grass has finally stopped freaking out and all the old dead parts are cleaned up. Now it's growing and spreading.

y881GvS.jpg

The buce are slow, but there has been root growth and a couple new leaves.

oS0XwMV.jpg

The anubias is really growing well and is getting a lot of character.

kSKNU3m.jpg

The bacopa has lost its dang mind. It really seems to like my tank and is throwing roots everywhere. Today I trimmed multiple pieces and planted the tops. It's really looking great.

B9DjceV.jpg

I found out that the problem with my fern is that it's a mother plant. The leaves are all dying, but are sending out massive amounts of plantlings. The whole undersides have multiple new plants. I've been removing the worst leaves and tucking the new plants in crevices.

Looking forward to getting some fish in there to enjoy the scenery.

Bad news. One of the Petco cories has what looks like ich. It's a single white spot on the top of his head that has a fuzzy, raised look. The others seem fine, but they are housed together, so I will assume they are also affected. It's also difficult to see if the albinos are clear.

I will be going out today and getting both aquarium salt and ich medication. I know not to use both simultaneously. I see that most people start with salt. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just start with the medication instead?

I will do a 50% water change and add whatever treatment I choose to it. I don't want to put in a heater since I only have one and can't get another right now.

I expected this, but it's still quite disappointing.

Might be fungal if it's fuzzy. Should look more like a grain of salt. If you aren't going to use a heater then you'll have to use meds.

I got aquarium salt and some Tetra Lifeguard as I wasn't 100% sure that it's ich. It's a small spot on the smallest fish, so it's hard to tell. He is less active than the others and always has been. He doesn't seem to be gulping air any more often than the others and doesn't appear to be itching on the sponges.

For now, I did a 50% WC and added aquarium salt with warm water. Tank temp is currently 85.

I've seen salt used as a treatment for fungal issues as well as ich, but I haven't seen heat mentioned. I was unsure if I should try the Lifeguard with corydoras since they are scaleless.

Edit: Scratch that, he is gulping more often.

Idk about it being ich. I've never seen ich as a single white spot. If I had to guess I would think it's fungal or worse case it's Columnaris.

Heat and salt is what I use to treat ich with 25% daily water changes including a bottom vac. 85 degrees should be good enough although I bump it up to 86 with a heater. Some people will tell you not to use salt with catfish but I've successfully treated ich on a pictus catfish with salt at 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons then after a week to 10 days I bumped it up to 1 TEAspoon per 2 gallons.

Ugh, it's definitely columnaris.

It has progressed rapidly and the affected fish is showing typical signs of erratic swimming and listlessness. He will likely be dead inside the hour. I'm not going to euthanize as he would likely be gone by the time I could even set it up.

I will do daily 25% water changes and will siphon waste out multiple times a day and continue with the salt treatment. Going to encourage a drop in temperature to 75. If any of the others show signs, I'm going to grab some nitrofurazone.

Thankfully, I have a separate siphon and bucket for this tank. I will bleach anything else that has come in contact with it.

Columnaris seems to be more prevalent than fungus. Sorry man. Definitely remove the rest of the fish from that tank asap. Or remove the sick Cory immediately and euthanize.

The sick cory has been removed. I'm working on an ice bath to humanely euthanize because he just seems to be suffering.

I know that the ice water method is disputed, but as it is a tiny tropical fish, it seems the least traumatic way with what I have on hand. I think my vegetarian wife would freak out if I started bashing the thing.

Long term, I guess I'll have to get some clove oil. It's quite unfortunate that I have to euthanize so early on.

That'll work.

Ya don't upset the wife. Lol

It's not uncommon to get a sick fish from a box store. I still deal with those issues.

Euthanasia was carried out. Seemed pretty instant. R.I.P. fishy friend.

Sadly, they are no longer a complete school. I'm going to wait to complete the quarantine on the remaining four before getting more, though. I don't want to possibly introduce other illnesses, or compromise new fish. Going to see if my other, privately owned LFS could order a couple for me in a few weeks.

As I understand it, columnaris is a common, opportunistic bacterium that is usually benign until a fish is otherwise compromised. Does it mutate into a more virulent form when a fish is affected?

I'm trying to determine whether the remaining fish are at an increased risk now that there has been a death or if their risk is the same now as it had always been. I'm certain that the dead fish had been showing symptoms prior to my acquiring them. He had always been the lethargic one.

All I know is when you see Columnaris it's usually too late. I've never personally cured it. Interesting enough, IME, I've only had a single fish at a time get it. I've heard horror stories of it wiping out entire tanks....but for me I would get one sick with it, I'd remove it, and wait to see if any others got sick within a couple weeks and I never had an "outbreak." I'd just keep doing what you are doing. Watch them carefully as usual in QT and after 2-3 weeks if all is well then add them to your main tank.

Nothing but good news today. The remaining cories are all acting fine. Eating and swimming normally. No sign of columnaris. Fed them and vacuumed the tank 20 minutes after, then did a 20% WC. Didn't add more salt since I had so heavily salted it yesterday. Keeping an eye on them.

The endlers and shrimp also arrived today! There were no DOA's and he gave me one extra of each just in case. He also packaged the shrimp with some java moss for their comfort, which was great.

I bought 3 black bars, 3 red striped, 3 silverados and 3 red chested. I got an extra black bar, I think. The black bar and silverados look P class to me, which is awesome. Pretty sure the red striped are all K class. No biggie, the breeder specializes in hybrids, so it's to be expected. I'm obviously not intending to breed since they're all male.

I then got a mix of 6 neo. shrimp with 2 extras. There are two yellow, one tangerine, three red, one wild-type, and one that is either chocolate or blue, hard to tell. When it was in the bag, it looked very blue. In the tank, it looks chocolate. We'll see as they age and settle in!

Here are some pics!

i9S89IX.jpg

Acclimating the endlers. The ones that are super dark from above are the silverados.

3UebIR7.jpg

Here they are checking things out.

3d4Ve32.jpg

They have amazing colors.

RkEFhzJ.jpg

They are difficult to photograph because they are so quick. They are such agile, nimble fish.

Avd9PcC.jpg

Acclimating the shrimp. You can see the blue/chocolate one in the lower left. Looks really blue, doesn't it??

PaA2F2H.jpg

Here is the same shrimp looking quite chocolate. It's a mystery!

tcjevZX.jpg

The tangerine boldly browsing the stump.

HJmrqx3.jpg

One of the reds with a flash of a yellow.

The shrimp and fish all immediately started browsing for food. The endlers are loving the detritus worms and are eating them up with gusto. I won't feed for a couple of days since they are enjoying algae and whatnot that has accumulated in the tank.

Those endlers are gorgeous. I would've bought some during my last LFS trip but I have no tank space for them.

Back
Top Bottom