Jagged/frayed fins in male Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liumchen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just moved to a new apartment five days ago. Since then (about two days ago), I have moved my prized Betta pair to a filtered ten gallon, after having previously been in a 3.5 with completely still water and dim lighting. The filter is a mini one that causes very little current, but still some, and is technically too small for their tank. It gets the job done, though, until I find another slow-output ten gallon filter.

The pair have been together for a few months now, never any major outbursts. At the start, he inflicted some minor fin damage to her, but nothing recently. He frequently flares and shows off to her, non-aggressively, and they swim close together without fuss often. Up until just this afternoon or evening, his fins had always been PERFECT. Not a mark ever on them. I've been watching the pair over the past hour, and they're still interacting with each other and acting the same as always.

Except that his fins are suddenly shredded. I've seen damage from fin-nipping before, and it doesn't look like that to me. The female did get a little skittish and displayed stress stripes for a while after being moved to the new tank, but they're fading now, and I've seen her breeding stripes a few times today. Her behaviour has calmed completely.

I apologize for the darkness of the photos. The light is at the back of the tank, but he always stays close to the front when he sees me because he thinks there's food. I can try and take some better ones tomorrow when the room is lighter.

I'm just really confused by this. I don't think it's fin nipping, and I don't think it's just some sudden disease or anything, either. His fins were totally fine this morning. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Questions are welcome. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Sorry to me it looks like the female has attacked him, I would separate them and give him plenty of clean warm water (with water conditioner off course ) you can see what looks like bite mark's on his fins.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Sorry for not getting back until now! The female has been removed, and she is now in a sixty gallon community tank. His fins have grown back almost completely :)
I'm still wondering, though. I read that it was possible for male Bettas to intentionally shred their own fins, most likely in response to currents and additional swimming space. Being moved from a 3.5 gallon with no filtration to a 10 gallon with filtration and a slow to moderate current, is it plausible that he may have done this to himself?

Back
Top Bottom