Java fern - rhizome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Silly me didn't read all the forums properly and realised I shouldn't plant the java fern in the substrate with only the leaves showing.

Firstly, I had a hard time FINDING what a rhizome looks like. lol. I'm guessing it looks like what madasafish posted in http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rhizome.

From what I read, there is somewhat mixed opinions abt planting java ferns in substrate although consensus is that it is pref for it to be attached to wood.

My problem is, I only just read this now, and my ferns have been attached to the substrate (completely with rhizome) for abt a week or 2 and I think it has taken up root. I used a cocktail stick to expose the bottom areas of the fern (ie base of stems and hopefully rhizome). Just awnted to pose my problem:

I want to keep it in the substrate. However, I'm not sure the rhizome is properly exposed. Atm, the "base" of the plant is a tangle of the stems, and roots which have tangled itself into a ball (that is what I'm keeping exposed). However, due to this tangle, Im not sure if the rhizome is exposed. Although I want to keep it in the sub, I guess should I force it out of the substrate (thinking roots have taken hold) and attach it to my drift?

You can tie them to small rocks with thread and set them on the substrate.You can trim the excess roots back to 1 inch long.

I have lace java fern flourishing and totally covering a piece of driftwood. Some of the spores that have developed and come off I have planted in the gravel just to see if they will grow. Looks like they are doing pretty good.

I think the main problem with burying rhizomes is that fungus can grow and kill the plant. Especially if it's right after a rhizome division. I'm not 100% sure on this though so don't quote me on anything. Im sure someone with alot more experience will chime in and let you know.

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok with what you've done. Since you can see a tangle of roots, your rhizome is more than likely out of the substrate.

If the plant is doing fine, and you want to keep it where it is, go ahead.

I've had plenty of Java Ferns over the years that have rooted in the substrate on their own, they do fine.

I would say that the ones that attach to rocks or driftwood do better (grow faster, and get bushier).

thx for the replies all.

My 2 sets of java fern seem to be doing fine. Still a nice lush green, unlike my other plant I ordered which has withered and died on me :( It was a "Nomaphila var. Cherry Leaf", tho it seemed to come without roots 8O I dunno if it needs roots or not, but my ones came with only branches and the poor thing died on me.

Anyways, better be getting some Flourish Excel for them quickly tho so they don't need to be starving for CO2. Surprised they've lasted this long (abt 3 weeks) and still look as great as ever except for some slight tears in the leaves here and there. Next time, tho, I may try to grow them on driftwood since every1 suggests its the way to go :)

Back
Top Bottom