Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis74

Aquarium Advice Activist
Many of my java ferns have sent out grasping roots and new leaf growth. What is the best way to spread these through out the tank?

Java ferns propagate via new growth along the rhizome or baby plantlets on the leaves. You can cut the rhizome into individual plants whenever you feel like it. I usually wait until there are at least three stems for each cutting.

wait until you get about six leaves, then pull it off and let it root by floating on the surface or just tie it. It will become a healthy new plant in no time.

As soon as my healthy looking Java Ferns started sprouting new growths, the main plant went downhill quickly. All of the leaves turned blackish color and started to disintegrate...is that normal? I just figured it was an imbalance in my ferts. Phosphates in my tanks are on the high side (2ppm+) due to phosphate in my tap water.

I am having the same thing on individual leaves of otherwise healthy java ferns. Some of those discolored leaves are actually sprouting new growth. Interested to know what that means.

Back
Top Bottom