Java moss experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello people... :wave:

Yestherday I tried out something new with my java moss.

As I don't have any wire mesh or anything, only drift wood, but I won't bother attaching it to my wood, so I put it in pots that I got from buying plants, and Hopefully it will outgrow the pot from the holes so it keeps a nicely rounded shape :)

dsc04325h.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Be sure to keep us updated. Though I imagine it will probably grow out the sides too. Depending on how long you leave it like that, you'll probably pull up quite a few pebbles of gravel the next time you move it. I still can't figure out where my moss is holding my gravel (too small for my eyes to see) buts its definitely a tough customer.

Hmm, interesting. Be sure to keep us updated. Though I imagine it will probably grow out the sides too. Depending on how long you leave it like that, you'll probably pull up quite a few pebbles of gravel the next time you move it. I still can't figure out where my moss is holding my gravel (too small for my eyes to see) buts its definitely a tough customer.

Ye I will.

Let's hope for it, I'll keep u updated once a week, if it does change atleast.

What kind of lighting do you have? Just saying, I've just got a T8 6700K on mine and it takes quite some time to grow. Not sure how it does in higher lighting, but I know if I updated every week on my java moss I'd get some strange looks. XD

What kind of lighting do you have? Just saying, I've just got a T8 6700K on mine and it takes quite some time to grow. Not sure how it does in higher lighting, but I know if I updated every week on my java moss I'd get some strange looks. XD
Don't worry I'm not a light fanatic but a 100% planted tank fanatic. I have Home Made CO2 (noob youtube way, but works great!)

I don't know my light, but the light tube says: L 15W/840 , White light that's made in Germany :jump:

Btw moss isn't a speed growing plant tho, I sometimes see pictures of beautiful full grown PURE GREEN java moss, then I wonder how many gallons of Fertz they use XD

I don't even have a plant-substrate, only gravel

:)
Don't worry I'm not a light fanatic but a 100% planted tank fanatic. I have Home Made CO2 (noob youtube way, but works great!)

I don't know my light, but the light tube says: L 15W/840 , White light that's made in Germany :jump:

Btw moss isn't a speed growing plant tho, I sometimes see pictures of beautiful full grown PURE GREEN java moss, then I wonder how many gallons of Fertz they use XD

I don't even have a plant-substrate, only gravel

I'm with ya buddy. Lets just say I've got a lot of 2 litre bottles sitting in my room right now. And I was just thinking aloud to myself there. Just wondering if it would grow any faster with higher light, or if the growth stays the same in all conditions. One thing I used to see before I added my diy co2 was lots of white calcium from my well water on my moss, but now its a bit greener. I think its the co2 helping anyways. :)

:)

I'm with ya buddy. Lets just say I've got a lot of 2 litre bottles sitting in my room right now. And I was just thinking aloud to myself there. Just wondering if it would grow any faster with higher light, or if the growth stays the same in all conditions. One thing I used to see before I added my diy co2 was lots of white calcium from my well water on my moss, but now its a bit greener. I think its the co2 helping anyways. :)

More light does increase growth aslong they have enough CO2 & fertz and so on. But Fish waste will do.

But make sure u don't get algae grow

Myself I only put my lights 2-3 hours a day on, becouse the sun shines all day in my room, and the curtens are closed all day (too much light for my eyes :)).
I only onced had algae problem, it was spider web like algae, I think it was becouse my fertz are for 2 55gal+ tanks, I used it on my 5 gallon one (previous one) :rolleyes:

Calcium in the water??

Don't u use water conditioners, I use tap water and store them in 2 litre bottles for 1 week, then I change 15% of my water. If u use tap water directly fish'll die, u can use conditioner or put a bucket of water for atleast 2 days standing before u can use it.

More light does increase growth aslong they have enough CO2 & fertz and so on. But Fish waste will do.

But make sure u don't get algae grow

Myself I only put my lights 2-3 hours a day on, becouse the sun shines all day in my room, and the curtens are closed all day (too much light for my eyes :)).
I only onced had algae problem, it was spider web like algae, I think it was becouse my fertz are for 2 55gal+ tanks, I used it on my 5 gallon one (previous one) :rolleyes:

Calcium in the water??

Don't u use water conditioners, I use tap water and store them in 2 litre bottles for 1 week, then I change 15% of my water. If u use tap water directly fish'll die, u can use conditioner or put a bucket of water for atleast 2 days standing before u can use it.

I live out in the boonies, and we have well water. We use a water softener for the house water, but it uses those salt pellets, which freshwater fish don't particularly care for. I don't have any chlorine or chloramines in my well water, but I do add water conditioner to take care of toxic heavy metals. My well water has a high GH so its got lots of calcium and magnesium, but those aren't really bad for fish. In fact, I've heard it helps with plants somewhat.

I live out in the boonies, and we have well water. We use a water softener for the house water, but it uses those salt pellets, which freshwater fish don't particularly care for. I don't have any chlorine or chloramines in my well water, but I do add water conditioner to take care of toxic heavy metals. My well water has a high GH so its got lots of calcium and magnesium, but those aren't really bad for fish. In fact, I've heard it helps with plants somewhat.
Oh, nice to hear!:fadein:

My java moss is bright green. I think it's the light more than the fertilizers. I have it near the top of a 20L with 36W of T5 and 36W of CFLs. I just recently started dosing Flourish according to the bottle directions and the moss has visibly grown in a couple of weeks. I need to change my DIY CO2 bottles as I'm starting to get some BBA again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom