JayJay's newbie setup (from oddballs things thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How frequent are you doing water changes at this point? If you are still doing every day or so, I would hold off but continue to test every day. If you see ammonia or NO2 begin to rise over .5 then do a water change. See if you can go a week without a water change. My guess is that you are pretty much cycled. If you go without pwc you will begin to see your NO3 rise a little, this may also help your plant but post a question with all of your stats in the planted tank forum. You will get much better answers there.

Great work! Happy fish are the proof.

Okay, everything pretty much stable. NH=0, NO2=0, NO3=about 10mg/l. It's been that way all week.

I just got some easier plants for my tank, some nana and willow moss, so Ill be spending more time in the planted tank forum.

I'm still testing almost everyday but Im only PWC every week now.

Thanks everyone. I pulled it off, no fish dead. My fiancee and I are talking off getting a bigger tank when we move in together. I think I've learned a lot, thanks to AA, and that shouldn't be a problem.

My workmate gave me one of his old tanks he wanted to get rid of so now I've upgraded from a 12 litre to a 64 litre.

I have the same fish besides the three pandas I bought to replace the two that died. I also bought lots of new plants.

That makes

12 Neon Tetras
4 Panda Corys
2 Otos

I'm thinking to get a couple more Pandas and another oto. What other fish would be good. Guppies? I heard they're pretty easy to look after.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• dcf_0046_00_194.jpg
    dcf_0046_00_194.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 16
  • dcf_0050_660.jpg
    dcf_0050_660.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 070215_132504_155.jpg
    070215_132504_155.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 070215_132623_207.jpg
    070215_132623_207.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 198
  • dcf_0047_181.jpg
    dcf_0047_181.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
Congrats on the new tank! It looks nice. Those pandas are well camouflaged!

Did you transfer the existing filter from the old tank?

majolo said:
Congrats on the new tank! It looks nice. Those pandas are well camouflaged!

Did you transfer the existing filter from the old tank?

Yes. And some water and the old gravel. I know I will have to re-cycle but I hope this will save me some hassle.

:edit: My workmate (fellow fish geek and fish mentor) recommended some Dwarf Gouramis (sp?) or some Hariquin Rasbora. I keep my tank at about 24-25 degrees C.

How about 8-10 guppies and 3-4 of the fish my mate suggested?

Back
Top Bottom