JD, Acara, Convict, Firemouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogiBear15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i was wondering if you all could give your opinions on if these setups will work. Ive asked a lot of questions on this subject lately and i am still debating all of this...

- 1JD, 2FireMouth, 1BlueAcara
- 1GreenTerror, 1BlueAcara,
-1JD, 2Convicts(pair),
-6FireMouth(3 pair)

I have a HOB and 305 canister. Driftwood, sand, rocks, flowerpots, and fake plants.

Also, includes a Syno. I have it already, so I'm at least going to attempt it.

10 gallon available for babies or possible quarantine.

Also, i do quite like convicts so if you tell me no then please dont make your reason be "that they are ugly"

Thanks guys.

:)

55 gallon SA/CA cichlid tank
29 gallon tropical community

Sent from Atlantis?

I wouldn't do convicts for the simple fact of they breed worse than rabbits... Expect a gazillion babies

Caleb

Plus aggression... with breeding comes aggression

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

K so convicts are outta. What about the other groupings? Any other ideas using any of those fish?

Sent from Atlantis?

I say if you really like the convicts get them. The cons and jd should work. The worse thing is to get fish that you end up unhappy with.
Also you could look into honduran red point's.
The fire mouths would work also.
If you do the green terror he would have to be solo with the feather fin.
As far as tons of fry just leave them in the tank and the jd should take care of them.

Also as far as the 1JD, 2FireMouth, 1BlueAcara I would say no to the firemouth's. I tried firemouths with a blue acara. seemed fine at 1st but the firemouth would flare at the blue acara and it would just swim away. Eventually the acara got tired of it and beat the firemouth fairly bad. Firemouths are all bark and no bite.

I have a female JD and a male convict that get along great. I just wouldn't recommend a pair of convicts because of their breeding habits. But if Mike ^^^ says they will get eaten his judgment on cichlids far surpasses mine.

Caleb

Caleb is right about the massive amount of fry. Another option would be a pair of cons and a salvini. Then there would def not be a fry problem.

Ok thank you guys. And yeah its the 55. In like a year or so i might be getting a 75, but for now this is it.

Sent from Atlantis?

Ok thank you guys. And yeah its the 55. In like a year or so i might be getting a 75, but for now this is it.

Sent from Atlantis?

GT grow extremely slow even in great water conditions. A year is plenty of time for an upgrade for them.

Caleb

GT grow extremely slow even in great water conditions. A year is plenty of time for an upgrade for them.

Caleb

Buying in *hopes* of upgrade is not the way to go. Buy for what you can comfortably house. Life changes and plans need to be cancelled sometimes, best to go with what you know you can comfortably house

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're just using the 55 I'd go with fire mouths or convicts or a single jd. It's not really fair to assume you'll be capable of getting a 75 in time, and even in a 75 you'll start to see aggression issues between your cichlids if you get too many. Also keep in mind, Jack Dempsey's aren't slow growers. With reasonable conditions and varied food you can expect over an inch per month. Convicts also hit sexual maturity fairly rapidly.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Ya i know about convicts. I was getting secondary opinions. But I've seen tanks way more stocked with aggressive New World cichlids. Believe me or not, Ive done hours upon hours of research on all these fish and more types of fish, but these were the fish I've decided to go with, in some type of community way.

I know that what you see on Youtube or the Internet isn't good, but it demonstrates it is possible. It is my understanding that these fish have their own personalities. So, I want to know if it would be possible to have these fish together with a good quality of life provided that they are compatible in attitude. I have a great specialty LFS close by that i can use to switch out fish if need be. They have 7 inch Midas in with JD, full grown Oscar, Syno, Datniod, young Peacock Bass, and convicts in a 75, that don't kill each other. Im talking 15+ big/aggressive fish, in various stages of life, living in close quarters. Im assuming that means these fish are somewhat calm, seeing as they haven't killed each other. They have several tanks like this. They look nice and healthy.

So, provided i can acquire fish with decent attitudes, will the fish have a good quality of life in this tank with hiding places, territories, and good water?

Thanks yall.

Sent from Atlantis?

They have 7 inch Midas in with JD, full grown Oscar, Syno, Datniod, young Peacock Bass, and convicts in a 75, that don't kill each other. Im talking 15+ big/aggressive fish, in various stages of life, living in close quarters.

That is totally crazy, considering peacock bass can get way bigger than the tank is wide. That is completely and totally inhumane. I would not follow what this LFS does in their tanks. It's up to you though, no one here can change what you will do. The datnoid will also get as big as the tank is wide....

When those fish get bigger, that tank is going to be nothing but a bunch of blood and ripped fish flesh, sorry to say.......

Yes i know about the peacocks. Thats why it is young

But mist if the fish are only 2-3 inches away from full adult size, whatever it may be, some a bit more. Works well for them i guess...?

Sent from Atlantis?

That is totally crazy, considering peacock bass can get way bigger than the tank is wide. That is completely and totally inhumane. I would not follow what this LFS does in their tanks. It's up to you though, no one here can change what you will do. The datnoid will also get as big as the tank is wide....

When those fish get bigger, that tank is going to be nothing but a bunch of blood and ripped fish flesh, sorry to say.......

And obviously im not stocking it with more than 4 or five fish, maybe less, so nowhere near that amount

Sent from Atlantis?

You're talking about a 55 gallon. In terms of the big centrals and southies, it's tiny. Simple as that. You're going to do what you want. You're asking advice and then saying "well I've seen it done so it's entirely possible". Except that you're seeing a glimpse of everything that goes into making that even seem possible. Why jam several fish native to stretches of rivers and likes miles long into 4 square feet of floor space? And quite often, there are several dead fish in making those tanks, several wounds, headaches, and lots of water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im not saying thats its a good idea or reliable. But yes, it is possible. Again, doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea tho. And I'm not talking about oscars or Red Devils anymore, although i asked about them previously. These are fish that are at least a bit smaller. And in the end i realize yes i can do what i want with the tank, but i would like to have a bit of secondary opinion on any of the setups listed above, bot being told off. If you think it wouldn't work, then please just say that.

Mean no disrespect

Sent from Atlantis?

Back
Top Bottom