JD eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SammieJo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so in one of my 55g tanks I have 2 adult Jack Dempeys. I bought the first one several months ago because, well, he was just beautiful! Full of color. Then, I guess it was about a month ago at this point, I got another one, not as colorful but it was a good price and I really like JDs. After the first couple days I got to thinking...I might have a male and female. About 2 weeks after I got her....I find little eggs! At the time I had a couple other fish in the tank. So I panic of course and rush to the interwebbings to see what I do now. Figured I need to take the other fish out. Apparently JDs are great parents. So, I take the other fish out, test the water, everything tested ok, but the nitrates I think were a bit high. The tank was a bit over crowded. Didn't want to play with the water too much with eggs in it. Needless to say the first batch didn't work. Well, I was told they can lay eggs again in as little as 10 days. Mine didn't waste any time trying again. This time I made sure the water was right, clean, and at a good temp. They started round 8/22 in the evening time. If they hatch in about 3 days I'm thinking tonight should be the night for them to hatch! But....not really sure where to go from there. I have a little 10g breeder tank set up and ready for them if need be. I read that you can leave them with the parents for 4-6 weeks or until the lay more eggs. Is this true? That would save me a lot of hassel. I have another 55g set up and established if I need to move them into more space. What is there typical growing rate? And, one last thing I was pondering...are my JD's going to breed forever?? Depending on how this goes, I don't know that I want them breeding forever, would this mean I need to separate them in the future to stop this? :( Long story short...have JD eggs hopefully hatching in the next 24 hours...what now???

Back
Top Bottom