JD male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki86

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know they are hard to sex, and even more so when young....but I was more wondering about when it would be possible to differienate??? I'll post a pic, feel free to take a guess....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402100722.837892.jpg

That's what I was thinking too...not what I wanted but hopefully she will be a very colorful female :)

Looks a lot like my juvenile, except mine has a tiny hump above the eye, and back a little. Really not sure.

You think the females are more colorful??? I have googled pics and they seem to be lacking the spangles that the males have...

You think the females are more colorful??? I have googled pics and they seem to be lacking the spangles that the males have...

Actually Females have more spangles. One of the ways you tell them apart is Females have spangles all over their face, while males don't.

Oh really? I thought the JD I googled was male and he had beautiful colors!

Do Females stay smaller? About 6-7"??

Regardless Of it's sex I'm sure I'll love my fish when full grown bc I'm feeding a good diet and providing good water quality which will promote good colors :)

They really do have a great personality, mine has already associated me with food and swims out immediately when I am around the tank, though is still kind of skittish when I try to interact

It's my opinion females look better. Both are very colorful. That's why it's hard to tell them apart. Females aren't necessarily smaller. They are more streamline, and don't have as large of fins. But they do have the same colors as males, and have more spangles. I guess it's a matter of taste though. For example I don't like EBJD's at all.

Females tend to be a lot smaller, the difference is staggering after about a year or so old. Still love them all. This is a one year old male.

img_2965664_0_a7531ed97f9c77af9b12545e14e68818.jpg

That is a beautiful fish you have there jeta, you guys are making me anxious for my fish to grow up!

Back
Top Bottom