JD not very active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
got 2 small jd's recently(both around 1''), one seems to be very inactive and just hides all the time. it is the smaller of the two and we got him first and was doing this even before the new tankmate came. I was wondering what the cause of this could be, the tank is fully cycled.

He eats willingly when i get the food near him and can swim perfectly fine, it just seems he chooses to not swim around

here is a picture of him/her

1i1ldd.jpg

How long have you had him? Could be still adjusting or could just be shy. Either way as he grows and matures his behavior is sure to change some.

Ok ive only had him for a couple days, i hope hes still adjusting! i guess only time will tell thank you for the help

when i first bought my jd, he was shy, but after a week or two he got used to me and grew quite fond of me. he would eat out of my hand, and he actually attacked my cousin, and made him bleed, it was funny. they are awesome fish , and they have a ton of personality.

when i first bought my jd, he was shy, but after a week or two he got used to me and grew quite fond of me. he would eat out of my hand, and he actually attacked my cousin, and made him bleed, it was funny. they are awesome fish , and they have a ton of personality.

haha awesome! the two i got are very small now, but i am really curious to see how their color and personality changes as they grow

yea mine went from black to green base color with green, blue, and red fins. They have great color. The only problem was he got to 8 inches and i had to rehome him. but now hes in a 220 gallon, and very happy :)

A lot of times it just depends on the personality of the fish. I've had my JD for 6 months now and he's actually become lazier than he was early on. He spends the whole day hiding in one of his caves and only occasionaly will dart accross to the one on the other side. Its only in the evening and at night when he comes out and stays out. I think in my case its more out of lazyness than shyness. Every once and a while i put a few young swordtails from my other tank in there for a treat and unless they swim right into his mouth he just basically watches them (until it starts getting dark and he becomes more active, i once put about a dozen in there at night and they were all gone by the morning)

so i ended up taking the little guy back to the lfs because i think he was getting bullied a little.

I swapped him for a little larger jd closer to the size of the other. Now they act way different. They swim up close to each other and do a weird wiggling thing like one is fanning the other with its tail or something. just wondering what this behavior is, none of my other fish have done this before.

thanks,
Brandon

Back
Top Bottom