Jewel Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termitehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to stock and color up my lake Tang tank a bit more and am considering Jewel cichlids. (Not tangs I know, but neither are the Haps in there) I have 6 Fronts, 7 Red Empress, 4 Julies, 5 Lulipi, 4 Brichardi, 3 Synodontis, and 5 Gold and 5 Ink fin compressiceps now. A relatively peaceful tank that I consider at 1/2 capacity right now. 180 gallon.

I am on the hunt for a mid to mild aggressive cichlid to color it up a bit more. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most aggressive I want a 5 to 6 to keep the balance.
I keep getting mixed reviews on the Jewels so I don't want to swim before I wade in a bit and get some feed back on these creatures. I have no personal experience with them. I have heard they are too aggressive and need a species set up. I have also heard they do well in a community setting with mid to mild aggressive because they only aggro when breeding. I do know that they can handle the current water conditions I am running. I am looking to stock around 5 to 8 of them depending on price.

Any other suggestions (Besides more Haps or fin nippers such as Labs and fish that grow over 6 inches) would be greatly appreciated too.

With thirteen fish hitting the 10-14" range and the smaller support staff I think you're pretty well stocked with a good mix.

I've had jewels before and having that many will certainly lead a pair at the minimum and when spawning they are are absolute terrors, and will wreak havoc on that tank. I'm not sure what size your fish are now but IMO your done.

Thanks for the input, and that is what I was wondering. I too was leaning toward the aggro on the breeding might be a problem more so than the general behavior. But I wasn't sure being I never kept any before.

I am only counting on 6 to 8 hitting the 10 to 14 range though. After the male Empress's color up I'm pulling the females. So far only 1 out of the 7 have turned. Who knows if any others will. They are currently 2.5 to 3.5 inch now.

Guess I'll pull in more patience and let the flow roll. :thanks:

If I was to rehome any of the fish, I'd get rid of eveything and add more fonts. I'm not sure what species of fonts you have but nothing looks better than a large colony of Blue Zaire's for that side of the pond.

I seriously thought about that in the beginning. I can do without the Haps, Brichardies, lulipi, and Julies. But the Goldtops, Inkfins and synos are staying for sure.

I have Burundi. Most are in the 4" range and one that is 6". All are growing in that tank quite well. And most started at around 1 to 1.5 inch.

Back
Top Bottom