Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are 24 x 12 x 35 I think? Not sure on the height. I think it's 35 though. It's definitely more solid than an ikea stand. I think it's perfect for the application. They have all different sizes at Lowes/Home Depot.

The only other thing I may suggest, is to maybe find a way to secure it to the wall. But that's just my paranoia speaking. Better safe than sorry, but I guess you can wait till everything is set up to see how stable it feels on the carpet.

Cool! Do they have various options for the front panel? Like something without that extra frame piece? It's a matter of a taste, but i think I'd like if the cabinet door was flat and smooth.

Cool! Do they have various options for the front panel? Like something without that extra frame piece? It's a matter of a taste, but i think I'd like if the cabinet door was flat and smooth.

I think they're all the same, but you can always have a piece of MDF cut to just replace the old one, if you're planning on painting it.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Which way do you like better? It's pretty sturdy as is though.

Attachments

• image-814400358.jpg
    image-814400358.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 90
Yeah, I don't think they do Brian. As bill said, it would be pretty easy. Do you guys like it in the corner, or along the wall better?

In the very first post on this thread, what kind of clip on lamp are you using in the second photo? I have a 5 gallon tank I would love to plant :)

It's a finnex cliplight with a 26watt 6500k CFL. It was 30$ on amazon. You'll need a 26 watt 6500k though becuAse the bulb it comes with is 50/50

What do you guys think about for Fauna? I thought maybe a school of neons or Rummys (10 or so), an Otto or two, and a German Blue ram. Or I could do the first two and get some Crystal Blacks/ Reds to go with my 4 cherries I already have?

I'd probably go with the neons or rummies, which ever because both are great options. However, the rummies do get larger so to keep things looking larger than what they are in terms of scale, i'd probably go with the neons. Green neons are even smaller than the common neons so you can consider those too. I've always been a big fan of GBR's. So I'd say go with the first option.

Shrimp are cool, but CRS and other caridina shrimp for that matter (except the Amano) are more difficult to keep than Neos. Unless you really have RO water or a tap source that's really low in TDS, you'd probably find the shrimp difficult to keep and breed -- especially in a high tech tank with co2. I'm not sure if you're thinking of keeping a second tank (maybe down the road), but you can have the best of both worlds by doing a nano low tech shrimp tank. Those AquaTop high clarity cubes (from truaqua.com) are great for such a task. They're pretty inexpensive for an ADA-clone but quality tank IMO.

I'd probably go with the neons or rummies, which ever because both are great options. However, the rummies do get larger so to keep things looking larger than what they are in terms of scale, i'd probably go with the neons. Green neons are even smaller than the common neons so you can consider those too. I've always been a big fan of GBR's. So I'd say go with the first option.

Shrimp are cool, but CRS and other caridina shrimp for that matter (except the Amano) are more difficult to keep than Neos. Unless you really have RO water or a tap source that's really low in TDS, you'd probably find the shrimp difficult to keep and breed -- especially in a high tech tank with co2. I'm not sure if you're thinking of keeping a second tank (maybe down the road), but you can have the best of both worlds by doing a nano low tech shrimp tank. Those AquaTop high clarity cubes (from truaqua.com) are great for such a task. They're pretty inexpensive for an ADA-clone but quality tank IMO.

Ok, I was thinking the same thing. I like rummies alot but you're right. I have 3 neons now so I'll probably just get 4 more, and maybe a school of Chili or Lambchop rasboras with them. I'm really partial to GBRs too. I think they are very pretty and accent a nice planted tank well. Definitely getting one.

I didn't get my hopes up on the shrimp, but I will have an empty 5 gallon that I can always use for an excuse for a shrimp tank (; I almost bought a TDS meter today on amazon for like 15$ but didn't think it was necessary. My girlfriend and I are doing a nano reef together that will be at her house. That should be an interesting adventure because neither of us have any first hand saltwater experience. Lol. I put my two favorite things together.

Btw, if anyone asks, the pill bottle is for my concussion meds! Don't want any mix ups haha

Attachments

• image-1221127494.jpg
    image-1221127494.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 79
Brian or Bill, this white downoi is driving me crazy. Also, my bacopa tops are changing to a white color. I definitely have a micro nutrient deficiency,i think iron specifically, and I've been dosing almost double the EI dosage for 4-5 days, with no result.

The downoi has started to regain some green, but it's taking forever.

Attachments

• image-53048557.jpg
    image-53048557.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2416583638.jpg
    image-2416583638.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 108
Is this in your little 5 gallon? I doubt there's a deficiency if you're dosing ei, but it's possible. Are these fairly new plants?

Oh and hey, I was looking at the pic of your setup and was wondering... Could you possibly turn the base of the cliplight around so that it moves the fixture more towards the middle of the tank? Not sure if it'll work but you could test it out.

Last edited:
haha ooops. :/ ill fix that when I get home tonight. The downoi is new, the bacopa is not. It just recently started showing the deficiency. that's what I thought bill, but I guess somehow I do.

Back
Top Bottom