Just added plants. Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just added some plants to my ten gallon tank. I got narrow leaf java fern (microsorium pterpus), umbrella plant (spathiphyllum wallisli), and compacta (hygrophilia corymbosa stricta)
I am not satisified with how it looks. Any suggestions?
In the future I plant to add driftwood (to replace the volcano and sphinx) and more plants (like ground covering ones)

I think you need a large bushy plant in the back right corner. But looks good :)

GodFan said:
I think you need a large bushy plant in the back right corner. But looks good :)

Ok. What plant do you recommend? (The large bushy plant)

Oh man I was hoping you wouldnt ask that! lol I cant remember what it is called! Im extremely partial to this fast growing pine tree looking plant. It has round sections that are kinda pine needle lookin. Sorry I dont know more. This was one of my first plants and it did not go well lol

Its a Cabomba plant!!! The one I had was green and red. It grew like a weed!!!!

Wisteria is always a great option for low light tanks. Anubias nana would also be a good choice. :)
What kind of lighting do you have?

GodFan said:
Oh man I was hoping you wouldnt ask that! lol I cant remember what it is called! Im extremely partial to this fast growing pine tree looking plant. It has round sections that are kinda pine needle lookin. Sorry I dont know more. This was one of my first plants and it did not go well lol

Hornworth? I think that Wat u were referring to. I would add some wistria maybe. I love that stuff. Remember to stir ur sand. Bc sams as it settles will form a lower dry layer that is bad for ur greenery

GodFan said:

I think they were referring to.Hornworth. I don't like the stuff bc it grow crazy. Wistria may be a good.option. it is easy too. Remember to stir ur sand. Bc as it settles it may form a dry lower layer which is bad for ur plants.

The spathiphyllum wallisli is not a true aquatic plants. Heads up on that.

I don't see the hygrophila in there.... Is that it in the back right? Maybe behind the volcano? I can't tell. I never had much luck with that plant personally. I've had it in both a 10g low tech and a 40 breeder high light + CO2 and it wouldn't grow in either. Not saying its a bad plant, but I just can't get it to work for me. Also, it's also occasionally called Nomaphila stricta, which might be useful if you want to look it up.

Various smaller crypts would make nice ground cover (crypt. lutea and parva if you can find them, wendtii is always nice). Dwarf Sag will also fit into your strategy. I'm a HUGE proponent of wisteria, which is a fantastic, tough, and beautiful plant.

Also, isn't that anacharis/elodea in the back corner?

I think they were referring to.Hornworth. I don't like the stuff bc it grow crazy. Wistria may be a good.option. it is easy too. Remember to stir ur sand. Bc as it settles it may form a dry lower layer which is bad for ur plants.

I don't think he's going to have an issue with anaerobic sand with a shallow substrate bed like that.tought

aqua_chem said:
I don't think he's going to have an issue with anaerobic sand with a shallow substrate bed like that.tought

True. Shallow strate may be another issue. Love to volcano. Does it bubble.

+1 on spath not being aquatic. Its also called the peace lily and its a commonly sold house plant. It will likely last a couple of months in your tank, but thats it.

aqua_chem said:
The spathiphyllum wallisli is not a true aquatic plants. Heads up on that.

I don't see the hygrophila in there.... Is that it in the back right? Maybe behind the volcano? I can't tell. I never had much luck with that plant personally. I've had it in both a 10g low tech and a 40 breeder high light + CO2 and it wouldn't grow in either. Not saying its a bad plant, but I just can't get it to work for me. Also, it's also occasionally called Nomaphila stricta, which might be useful if you want to look it up.

Various smaller crypts would make nice ground cover (crypt. lutea and parva if you can find them, wendtii is always nice). Dwarf Sag will also fit into your strategy. I'm a HUGE proponent of wisteria, which is a fantastic, tough, and beautiful plant.

Also, isn't that anacharis/elodea in the back corner?

Which one is that? (The spath) lol I forgot which are which already

crypts would do great in a low light tank like that. I believe it looks fine, the plants just need to grow and fill out the tank a little

aquabeast said:
crypts would do great in a low light tank like that. I believe it looks fine, the plants just need to grow and fill out the tank a little

It's not low light. It's medium light. Lol

Which plant is the spath? I don't want to take out the wrong one

Why don't you google a couple of image of it to make sure you get the right one. Honestly, I don't know how to identify the other plants ou have in there so I don't want to tell you the wrong one. I have had spath before as a houseplant, but its been awhile. I wouldn't want you to take out the wrong one either. :)

Back
Top Bottom