Just bought 6 small cardinals..............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought six very small cardinal tetra, they are about 1cm long and VERY small. I've put them in a 3 gallon tank with 3 adult Neons, and they seem happy enough, fed them some flakes tonight and all of them ate happily. I will be putting them into my 15 gal. tank when they grow big enough to not be a tiger barb snack :) Just wondering whether there's anything I need to look out for when raising these little things.

Thanks,

Mike.

I have 5 cardinal tetras I got in with 3 neons and they all school together. The cardinals don't take any extra work, diff food, etc. They've all done really well and grown quite big and fat! :]

They're very sensitive! Usually they're the best indicator of problems in your tank, as 1 or more will die. Sad, really.

Also, they prefer a very low pH, around 6 or lower. If they've been in 7 at the LFS and elsewhere, then slowly bring down the pH over a couple of weeks in your tank (as long as other tankmater can deal with it--tetras certainly prefer low pH).

Also, how are you acclimatizing them to your new tank? Are you using the drip method, or pouring little bits of tank water into the bag? A slow acclimatization is best to reduce shock, and I'd keep them in a dark place to reduce stress.

I always hear how sensitive they are. I have never lost one in over a year. My ph is about steady at a neutral 7. I'm a lucky duck I guess :]

Well, actually, I think it has to do with geography. The West Coast seems to get a better, less jarred stock of these fish. East Coasters have no end of trouble keeping Cardinals alive! I think AlliV came up with this conclusion a while back, and I've noticed this discontinuity myself on several occasions since. Count yourself lucky you're WC!

As to the UK.... I have NO idea how Cardinals usually fare there. Ask Terry if he's noticed the stock to be strong or weak.

Congratulation to you for getting ur new cardinal tetra.
I myself have 5 small cardinal tetra for afew weeks and they are slowly growing up. But do notice they are not strong in getting food. Always on the bottom of the tank waiting for flake.

As my tank only have tetra but of 4 different type. they live happily together and swim together. i could see that they has grow bigger abit as compare to the 1st day i brought home.

by the way, i stay in singapore. So is there any tetra lover in singapore here? hope to learn more about tetra breeding, shrmp and plant.

Cheers. :lol:

madasafish said:
Also, how are you acclimatizing them to your new tank? Are you using the drip method, or pouring little bits of tank water into the bag? A slow acclimatization is best to reduce shock, and I'd keep them in a dark place to reduce stress.

They are in small tank with only 3 neons and NO lighting (apart from the light coming in the side from the bigger tank), when I introduced them I floated them with the top of the bag open for about 30mins and then poured in a dribble of tank water every 5 mins, fished them out of the bag and into the tank and they seemed happy enough :)

PH is about 6.6-6.8, maybe I'll try and bring it down a little.

Thanks for all the answers guys,

Mike

:p

Good to hear, Mike. Sound like you acclimatized them well. I wait an hour, but who knows how long it *really* takes fish to adapt to different water parameters! I hope they settle in quickly. :D

As per TS168's comment about cardinals being weak feeders, I've seen the same with my neons. 1 of them is often adventurous, and will zoom to the surface to battle with the danios and Head and Tail Light Tetras (Beacon Fish), but the other 6 will wait for the flakes to sink, and will feed on these falling flakes a few inches below the surface. I'm not sure if this is a sign of weakness, or if it is an adaptation. They certainly fulfill a role much like bottom feeders in this way, and since they are generally middle-dwelling fish, they may also be middle-feeders.

madasafish said:
Well, actually, I think it has to do with geography. The West Coast seems to get a better, less jarred stock of these fish. East Coasters have no end of trouble keeping Cardinals alive! I think AlliV came up with this conclusion a while back, and I've noticed this discontinuity myself on several occasions since. Count yourself lucky you're WC!

Interesting, Madasa! I didn't realize that, thanks :]

I must agree about cardinals being tricky, but alas I reside on the East Coast! I would personally be nervous about putting them in with tiger barbs, as I have both kinds of fish but in separate tanks. I think I am overprotective of the cardinals because I have had trouble keeping them, but my tiger barbs are in a tank with a dwarf puffer, who seems to be the only one who can tolerate their aggressive behavior. Neons are similarly sensitive, so if you keep them like you do the neons everything should be fine!

This is interesting.. I have 5 cardinals and two neon tetras that are doing great... (west coast)

I wouldn't bother trying to adjust that pH. It is reasonable and easy enough for them to adjust to themselves. Trying to change your pH can be a real hassle and ongoing battle for the life of the tank. Plus it all depends on the hardness of your water and its buffering capacity. The only reason to think about changing it is if you are going to try and breed them as Ph can affect how successful breeding is.
Plus all of your other fish are used to Ph 6.6-6.8 now.

Back
Top Bottom