Just bought a new dog for my fish tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISH_r_FRIENDS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Haha,

Sorry I had to change it to something that would make people notice!

Ok, so just like everyone else here I'm new to keeping fish and I went to my local shop and bought a 25-30lt tank I only say that because it's not actually fully rectangular it comes bows out a bit in the front.

So what I want to get from this forum is some help/tips on keeping:
A MY FISH ALIVE :lol:
B keeping it clean
C looking great

I have set up my tank as directed by the guy at the shop put the filter,temp and light and (put the water cleaner , and good bacteria stuff) then I heated the water( I'm looking to have tropical fish) to 26 degrees and left it for three days, I went today and bought 4 fish, two guppies and two others that I will have to get the name of, or I can post a pic of them if that helps and two small plants , how long until i can bu more fish? so obviously I want to keep them as long as Posb, bt what is the life expectancy of guppies for example? I was also looking at buying maybe a snail or a small fish that will eat any alge/poo etc that I may get? Good idea? Any recommendations bearing in mind the size of my tank? And finally any good sites to get various ornaments or items that would look good?

Much love

Keep those fish swimming!

Sydney australia

I would be hesitant to add any more fish until I know what the non-guppies are. You'll need to be doing at least 10% water changes at least once a week.

You might could add a snail to help with algae control, but you're really probably better off just scrubbing it off the glass regularly. The only thing that eats waste in an aquarium is bacteria. If the tank wasn't cycled using ammonia or some rotting food, you'll need to step up the water changes to minimize ammonia and nitrite until the bacteria bed catches up. I also recommend you invest in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits to help you monitor this process. There are some good articles on cycling on this website.

I love my snails, but they poop way more then they control algae. They are messy messy creatures and I always have some algae in my tank.

Hey so just got home and one of the fishes was dead and the others weren't moving that much near the surface... I gave the filter a tap and a whole load of crap went everywhere in the tank I took it out and cleaned it in some of the tank water, after looking at the box the filter the guy gave me was designed for a tank up to 10lt when I added the water it was about 24- did the fish die from lack of air beCuse of the blockage? The others seem fine now but they keep hanging around each other and the filter so now ....me = worrrrieed! Help thinking maybe to go back and ask for s filter that's more suited to my tank size... What you guys think?

Rutrag said:
I would be hesitant to add any more fish until I know what the non-guppies are. You'll need to be doing at least 10% water changes at least once a week.

You might could add a snail to help with algae control, but you're really probably better off just scrubbing it off the glass regularly. The only thing that eats waste in an aquarium is bacteria. If the tank wasn't cycled using ammonia or some rotting food, you'll need to step up the water changes to minimize ammonia and nitrite until the bacteria bed catches up. I also recommend you invest in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits to help you monitor this process. There are some good articles on cycling on this website.

@ Rutag, cheers for the advice I was given stress coat and the stress zyme.. I'm guessing that these arnt what u are talking about so I'm gonna look into getting some in ur last comment u asked what fish I had so I took a pic as best I could of the other still alive fish and obv I still have the two guppies but really want to get this other stuff sorted I'm gonna bring a sample of water in to get it checked for ph level maybe ammonia was too high now?

Attachments

• image-3247342282.jpg
    image-3247342282.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-114599606.jpg
    image-114599606.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3228114888.jpg
    image-3228114888.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 77
The first fish is a Molly and the second is a (this might not be the right term) puffer Molly? When I first got my 10 I had Molly's, including 2 puffer Molly's and between my not cycling my tank proper and my killer dwarf guarami they didn't make it long.

Was chatting o jetajockey and he suggested changing about 50% of my water as from my description from before that I might have ammonia poisoning :( so I've done that put the water purifiers and hoping for the best until weds when I can go buy a ammonia nitrate and nitrite kit fingers,toes and mollys crossed they survive till then

Teakwood said:
The first fish is a Molly and the second is a (this might not be the right term) puffer Molly? When I first got my 10 I had Molly's, including 2 puffer Molly's and between my not cycling my tank proper and my killer dwarf guarami they didn't make it long.

I think the first one was a black swordtail or maybe a platy. The tail looked yellow, and black mollies normally have black eyes as well. The last one is called a balloon molly in my area.

The ballon Molly died when i came back from work this evening .. So sad and that was even after the change of 50% water, just done another change and kept samples of each change to bring to the guy tomorrow, see what he says hopefully ask for some of the good bacteria in their tanks to help mine... On that subject I noticed that my filter is apparently only designed for tanks up to 10lt.. I should really have something bigger for my tank right? Or does it matter? Could that possibly help with my problems, about the good bateria breaking down the waste? My tank is the aqua one panoramic tank 60x25x25 that works out to hold about 37 lts ... Right? If i took away the stones at the bottom i think i have about 26? is this a stupd question but i have to ask, do you all fill the water to pretty much the top of the tank or do you leave a gap at the top and work out from that and not total volume? Gonna go get the test kits too, whats a good one? I heard the sticks are rubbish and the water samplers are better?

FISH_r_FRIENDS said:
The ballon Molly died when i came back from work this evening .. So sad and that was even after the change of 50% water, just done another change and kept samples of each change to bring to the guy tomorrow, see what he says hopefully ask for some of the good bacteria in their tanks to help mine... On that subject I noticed that my filter is apparently only designed for tanks up to 10lt.. I should really have something bigger for my tank right? Or does it matter? Could that possibly help with my problems, about the good bateria breaking down the waste? My tank is the aqua one panoramic tank 60x25x25 that works out to hold about 37 lts ... Right? If i took away the stones at the bottom i think i have about 26? is this a stupd question but i have to ask, do you all fill the water to pretty much the top of the tank or do you leave a gap at the top and work out from that and not total volume? Gonna go get the test kits too, whats a good one? I heard the sticks are rubbish and the water samplers are better?

You have to measure the glass on the inside to get an exact gallon measurement(according to what I've read) yes a bigger filter would probably help a lot some people even suggest going up so the filter could handle even more water.

ok ur filter need to be able to clean ur tank at least 2 times an hour 3 times is much better the fish died from an ammonia spike should of left ur tank for longer befor adding fish i didnt have time to cycle

stay away from snails if you over feed they will multiply to fast to control

if you need more advice feel free to pm me

Cheers all, just went to the shop got my water tested from the last two changes and current- looks much better the two N's are at 0 and the ammonia was at the yellowy green so not so bad now, the guy told me that my filter should be fine but I'm not so sure not gonna get any fish now for about a week or so just to give my tank time to build up bacteria - plus he said he would give me two fish for free for my loss:) I also asked for some of their tank water so I can get a boost on my bacteria- so this is where the fun begins lol

I would still recomend a bigger filter if its only able to cycle ur tank once ever 2 hours you could end up with a massive alge out break or mass nitrate readings

Hi people so I'm guesssing my female guppy is pregnant just wanted some advice on what I should do and if I should have more plants in the tank, does that give her privacy to have the babies? And from the pic how far along is she? Due date? What hold I have in place I have a male guppy and two neon blue tetras? Will they et hr babies?

Attachments

• image-113513316.jpg
    image-113513316.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 110
The male will definitely eat the babies not sure if neons are big enough (possibly) she needs a breeder net of you are wanting to ensure you will have some babies. I used small plant decor with the leaves as close together as you can get them zip tied to the bottom of the frame of the net the babies will also hide between the frame and net which helps save them. More plants in tank is second option they will also hide in the rocks.

I've got 2babies !! I was changing the water and I noticed something in the corner if my eye, are you sure he will eat them they are pretty biggish ? Gonna go by the ousting net thing ang keep the mum in there too right just I case she has more?

I personally am used to platy and Molly. My motto with them is if you can see their color good and the edge of there tail without straining they are big enough, with guppies I would imagine it would be the width of their tails and good color. If will fit in their mouth they can eat them.

My guppies didn't eat their fry. I once had a male guppy defend them from zebra danios. It was just luck I guess, and keeping them well fed.

Back
Top Bottom