Just courious bout my tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a small 1.5 gal blacklight tank with an electric green glofish, a sunburst orange glofish, an otocinclus catfish and just added three ghost shrimp today. So far so good. I think it's maxed out now tho. Only one death in this tank. That was my star fire red glofish. He got tangled in a plant (which has been removed).

My other tank is a 10g with a paradise gourami, a Cory catfish, neon rosy barb, (2) electric green glow fish tetra, and two snails. I'm pretty well maxed out there too. I need something that can eat the algae better than the snail (they are covered in algae lol) haven't had any probs with these 4 particular fish. Took almost 2 full months to get fish that would work together. Had to return a vicious gold gourami that killed a my larger bumblebee chiclid, opaline and blue gourami. Two dwarf gouramis died also but that was before I used ozarka bottled water. Also they could of been sick from the start. Petco replaced or exchanged every fish that died thankfully.

Any advice or recommendations on the two tanks at all? I've always kept fish but it's seriously getting addicted to tanks now.

Both of your tanks are overstocked but your 1.5 gallon is massively overstocked and shouldn't really have any fish in it only shrimp. Also I don't think your red glofish was killed by getting tangled in a plant he probably died then got tangled in the plant

My other tank is a 10g with a paradise gourami, a Cory catfish, neon rosy barb, (2) electric green glow fish tetra, and two snails. I'm pretty well maxed out there too. I need something that can eat the algae better than the snail (they are covered in algae lol) haven't had any probs with these 4 particular fish. Took almost 2 full months to get fish that would work together. Had to return a vicious gold gourami that killed a my larger bumblebee chiclid, opaline and blue gourami. Two dwarf gouramis died also but that was before I used ozarka bottled water. Also they could of been sick from the start. Petco replaced or exchanged .

You had 6 gouramis or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank, the dwarf gouramis where probably killed by stress.
If I was you I would get a bigger tank to house all your fish.

Both of your tanks are overstocked but your 1.5 gallon is massively overstocked and shouldn't really have any fish in it only shrimp. Also I don't think your red glofish was killed by getting tangled in a plant he probably died then got tangled in the plant

Alas, I was afraid I was gonna get that. Silly me got the tank from Walmart especially for the glowfish. Went out paid 8$ a pop for em. Then I did some research. Apparently they are way too small for those tanks (Thank You walmart for false advertisement) but the tanks been doing great for almost 3 months now with the glofish and the "idiot fish". Just added the shrimp today (Petco said it'd be great) because I needed something to keep the bottom clean. And what do u think killed the red one? possible lack of oxygen? Or an attack by my orange glofish that has a potbelly and is twice as big? its been the biggest from the get go. the green one has alwAys been the smallest. but it seems to know how to survive. what should I do now? Leave it as is? Budget is tight till Atleast income tax time..

You had 6 gouramis or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank, the dwarf gouramis where probably killed by stress.
If I was you I would get a bigger tank to house all your fish.

No no. I've never had more than 4 fish at a time. I started with the two dwarfs then they died. Got a gold gourami which killed the opaline gourami. So I replaced it with a blue gourami. So I'm like let me get a tougher fish. Along came bumblebee cichlid. (Petco assured me he would survive if they did get fiesty) he lasted all of 9 hours. I had even rearranged the tank. So I sadly had to return the gold one. I got two electric green glo tetra, a Cory, and the paradise gourami. Two weeks later I added the two snails, and two weeks after that I added the neon barb. That has been quiet for just over a month now and I deffo don't plan to add anything new. When money allows Ill consider splitting the tank up with another 10g. But they seem to be doing so well now.

I've got a small 1.5 gal blacklight tank with an electric green glofish, a sunburst orange glofish, an otocinclus catfish and just added three ghost shrimp today. So far so good. I think it's maxed out now tho. Only one death in this tank. That was my star fire red glofish. He got tangled in a plant (which has been removed).

My other tank is a 10g with a paradise gourami, a Cory catfish, neon rosy barb, (2) electric green glow fish tetra, and two snails. I'm pretty well maxed out there too. I need something that can eat the algae better than the snail (they are covered in algae lol) haven't had any probs with these 4 particular fish. Took almost 2 full months to get fish that would work together. Had to return a vicious gold gourami that killed a my larger bumblebee chiclid, opaline and blue gourami. Two dwarf gouramis died also but that was before I used ozarka bottled water. Also they could of been sick from the start. Petco replaced or exchanged every fish that died thankfully.

Any advice or recommendations on the two tanks at all? I've always kept fish but it's seriously getting addicted to tanks now.

Okay these are all the correct sizes for all the fish:
Glofish- 20g
Otos- 10g
Paradise gourami- 40-50g
Rosy barb- 50g? ( I know they get huge but not sure on tank size)
By glofish tetra do you mean dyed black skirt tetra?- 20g

In your photos your paradise gourami appears to have inflamed gills. What's your water levels? Water change schedule? What do you test with? Did you cycle the tanks? Is there any chance you could rehome:
Glofish
Paradise gourami
Rosy barb (desperately)
And the glofish tetra?
I know it will basically wipe out your tanks but I do have some other options :)
1.5:
Some awesome shrimp ( red cherry shrimp or red rili shimp)
Snails

10g:
6 ember tetra
5 Pygmy Cories
Since you like Gouramis how about a sparkling gourami ;)
And then your oto and ghost shrimp.
Ps: do you know what type of cory you have? Hope I helped :)

Okay these are all the correct sizes for all the fish:
Glofish- 20g
Otos- 10g
Paradise gourami- 40-50g
Rosy barb- 50g? ( I know they get huge but not sure on tank size)
By glofish tetra do you mean dyed black skirt tetra?- 20g

In your photos your paradise gourami appears to have inflamed gills. What's your water levels? Water change schedule? What do you test with? Did you cycle the tanks? Is there any chance you could rehome:
Glofish
Paradise gourami
Rosy barb (desperately)
And the glofish tetra?
I know it will basically wipe out your tanks but I do have some other options :)
1.5:
Some awesome shrimp ( red cherry shrimp or red rili shimp)
Snails

10g:
6 ember tetra
5 Pygmy Cories
Since you like Gouramis how about a sparkling gourami ;)
And then your oto and ghost shrimp.
Ps: do you know what type of cory you have? Hope I helped :)

You have helped loads but unfortunately I won't be able to do much until Atleast a month. From what I'm gathering you need 1g per 1inch of fish. The barb gets a max of 4 inches, and the two glo tetras they max at 2. Paradise I think is 4. So I'm at 12 inches there. And I think it's an emerald green Cory it maybe an albino one (if they come in grey??) can u tell by the photo?
What would cause inflamed gills? I do about a 40% water change every month& vaccum out as much food as i can and refill with ozarka water. With a tsp of stress coat. I use an at home text kit. Or either bring it with me to Petco. But honestly I haven't a snowballs chance in u know where of coming up with the money for a 50g tank anytime soon -_-. And haven't seen a sparkling gourami. But yes I absolutely love them. I had a flame dwarf, a blue gourami and a Cory for almost two years then they got what I think was ick... And quietly went to the septic graveyard..

[QUOTE=Samzter;2281230
By glofish tetra do you mean dyed black skirt tetra?

Possibly except its bright neon green. There's a photo of its Petco tag In the album
but common name is glowfish electric green tetra
Scientific name is gymnocorymbus ternetzi

You have helped loads but unfortunately I won't be able to do much until Atleast a month. From what I'm gathering you need 1g per 1inch of fish. The barb gets a max of 4 inches, and the two glo tetras they max at 2. Paradise I think is 4. So I'm at 12 inches there. And I think it's an emerald green Cory it maybe an albino one (if they come in grey??) can u tell by the photo?
What would cause inflamed gills? I do about a 40% water change every month& vaccum out as much food as i can and refill with ozarka water. With a tsp of stress coat. I use an at home text kit. Or either bring it with me to Petco. But honestly I haven't a snowballs chance in u know where of coming up with the money for a 50g tank anytime soon -_-. And haven't seen a sparkling gourami. But yes I absolutely love them. I had a flame dwarf, a blue gourami and a Cory for almost two years then they got what I think was ick... And quietly went to the septic graveyard..

The inch per gallon rule is very innaccurate. Using that rule means I could put a 10 inch fish in a 10g tank. Which clearly isn't okay. With stock like that I would be doing 70-80% water changes per week. You could do 40% every four days. I have just looked up the barbs and they max out at 6 inches. Do you live in America? If you do I know that they have a dollar per gallon sale very once in a while. If you're in England like me your best bet is buying a tank second hand. Emerald or albino Cories are one of the larger breeds; therefore I would say it would need a tank of 30g and likes to school. Even if you could rehome the barbs, and the gourami, you would have a bit of room for one very small fish.

The inch per gallon rule is very innaccurate. Using that rule means I could put a 10 inch fish in a 10g tank. Which clearly isn't okay. With stock like that I would be doing 70-80% water changes per week. You could do 40% every four days. I have just looked up the barbs and they max out at 6 inches. Do you live in America? If you do I know that they have a dollar per gallon sale very once in a while. If you're in England like me your best bet is buying a tank second hand. Emerald or albino Cories are one of the larger breeds; therefore I would say it would need a tank of 30g and likes to school. Even if you could rehome the barbs, and the gourami, you would have a bit of room for one very small fish.

Lovely... Lol that's what I get for listening to Petco.... And that wouldn't make any sense having a fish that couldn't even turn around in a tank. Was the barb you looked up the neon rosy red? And the catfish is either an emerald, Julian or most likely just a gray albino. Would changing the water that often be safe? I'm hoping that will survive till I taxes come in. Then maybe I ca
Afford a 20g. Yes I'm from America But I've not seen one of those sales here :/

Lovely... Lol that's what I get for listening to Petco.... And that wouldn't make any sense having a fish that couldn't even turn around in a tank. Was the barb you looked up the neon rosy red? And the catfish is either an emerald, Julian or most likely just a gray albino. Would changing the water that often be safe? I'm hoping that will survive till I taxes come in. Then maybe I ca
Afford a 20g. Yes I'm from America But I've not seen one of those sales here :/

Don't worr... Loads of people on here receive false advice :)

Don't worr... Loads of people on here receive false advice :)

I should of done better research. Like I said I've had this 10g aquarium going on and off for the last 10 years but never spent a fraction of time and effort that I have this time. So the water change should be safe for the tetra that often? Also what could be wrong with my paradise? I thought it looked fine but I'm by no means a fish expert. I'm rather partial to all of my fish now after having the worst luck for almost 2 months... Their my survivors! Haha

And since they've survived this long do u think yhere is a chance they could make it as is for maybe 2 or 3 more months?

Back
Top Bottom